To me its more than a quiz.. its a symptom

Its a thing.
It's a thing that drives me a bit crazy.
It's a thing that I believe shows us the symptom that many christian women in our society face.

The search for WHO THEY ARE and how they fit in.

I am talking about those surveys that tell you who are most like. You know the ones i am talking about .. and you have probably taken a few quizzes yourself, But just in case you are not aware. There are little quizzes out there to help you find out more about yourself.

I just googled the following 
"Which Star Wars Character are you"
"Which Disney Princess are you"
"Which 1940s actress are you"
and (my favorite)
"Which Nascar Driver are you"  (ha)

I am sure you could find a quiz for just about anything, shoot, there are even ones for "Which
Bible Character are you" and "Which Bible Verse are you"

When I see quizzes like this posted to Facebook I wonder… why.

I have never taken one of those quizzes, the reason is that I don't need a quiz to tell me what I am like. I can tell you which Star Wars Character I am most like without using the world wide web.
 As you can see have issue with these quizzes. NOW PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG HERE, I totally understand they are just fun.  It's neat to see who or what you match up with, and just like someone saying "you remind me of my cousin, or my friend in college", I understand the gist of the quiz and why people take them...

But then I wonder….

Why are we so concerned about who we are MOST like. Why are we as a society searching to be like some character in a show, or a long dead actress, or a pretend princess. My heart aches for those who are trying to figure out who they are and finding out they are Belle, or the Lamp from Aladdin.
YOUR MORE THAN lamp or a Disney Princess!!!!

 It's fascinating to me that in a world where we try so very hard to be like everyone else that we are searching the internet for who we are similar too. We want so desperately to be like someone. It's so hard being different.

You see, YOUR job is to be YOU!

Why don't we embrace our uniqueness?

Why do we struggle so to be so much like our peers?

Why does it seem we are perpetually stuck in middle school or high school, trying to fit in.

WE all wanted the Rachel hair cut, or The Pioneer Womans' home ec skills.

We all want the sparkly butt jeans because, we can't be THAT different.

I have women in my life I know that are totally cool. I can tell you a LOT about each of them and why I love them, from their attitude, to how they love their friends to how they cut a sandwich in half different than me. There are many things we have in common, but there are many more things that are unique. I love being around them because WE ARE different.

Try as I might …. I cannot be anyone else but me. God created ME to be ME…. not Martha Stewart, not Haley Berry, not Natalie Portman.
I think deep down inside we all know this. WE all know we are different and it doesn't feel good to try and be someone else… it's no fun searching for who we want to be like….because we will never find what we are looking for.

I want for my friends, and friends via Facebook to know… I don't want to know which "Video Game Character you are most like" or "Which type of purse you are" (yes there is one for that)

I want to know YOU. What  makes YOU tick, what makes you smile, what could happen today that would make all the difference in the world to you. I want to know there are other women out there working on who THEY are suppose to be. I want to know there are women out there searching, praying and listening for the Lords Calling in their life.

I want to be WITNESS to the beauty GOD MADE YOU TO BE. The God given uniqueness thats dying to be shared. I want to BE WITNESS to the transformation you are going through and the struggle you are choosing to navigate to FIND who you are called to be. I want to be present when WHO YOU really are is the platform that brings others closer to CHRIST and his love.

So take a quiz if you want and post it to your Facebook page, just remember I am here, wishing and waiting for you to be YOU in all your AMAZING GLORY, and waiting to see how God uses YOU as part of his plan.

Comments