Struggle, hope, determination, dreams

Jan 28 2012 was the date of my last half marathon. SERIOUSLY.

In many ways its seems like only yesterday and in lots of other ways it seems like forever.

When I started this blog years ago I could barely walk 2 miles without collapsing.... Back then 2 miles was exhausting... It was 40 mins of pain, frustration and "I will never"'s ....
Back then there were small beams of hope ...wondering IF... You know how it goes
"I wonder if I will ever be able to run 2 miles with no walking"
"I wonder if my feet will always hurt when I walk"
"I wonder if this is what 30 something is spose to feel like"

How does someone go from running 6 and 8 miles for "fun".... From running 13.1 miles because I enjoyed it.... To zero miles.

I literally have NO mileage to talk about,... No laps around campus... No new running shoes for the next half marathon... No celebratory lunch after the long run. Zero.

I have gone from a marathoner..... To a non marathoner

How.
Does.
That.
Happen?

When I finally figured out I had a heel spur, I read and visited with friends about it...some I read and some told me it could take up to a year to be back at it..... I didn't want to believe it... Not me... I'll be back in no time...
Boy was I wrong ....

My heel has gotten better.. Then worse... Then better ... Then worse.... I have roller coastered from I will never run again to .. Maybe, just maybe I will run 2 miles next week... I have tested myself for half a mile finding myself in no pain and soooo excited to being In tears a days later because of the pain.

I have iced, rested, stretched, taped, tired different shoes, and pretty much given up.
Then I read about "fat pad syndrome"
I taped my feet like it suggested and found relief. Again... Happy ... Was it the solution?

I finally went to a local expert ... He makes braces and custom orthotics ... He gave me a block to stretch on, heel cups to wear and he said " it's just what u do" (thinking I was till running) ....
Long story, longer.... My issue all along has been a very tight calf, Achilles, and planter facia .. This block was suppose to help a LOT...
The past 4 days I have been stretching my leg/foot for 15 min in the block....
And here I go again getting my hopes up!

It's seems like its working.

And again I say to myself "why didn't I listen"...when the local running shoe expert told me the same thing 5 months ago... I didn't take the time to create the block to stretch on it, I just would put my foot up on the wall and stretch......


So, as I type I am block stretching for the second time today, fixing to take my natural anti inflammatory I bought yesterday and dreaming that this is the answer.


Oh mile 11 that I use to hate,,,, how I miss u.

I dream of 13.1 on July 4
I hope this is the answer
I struggle to stay positive
While being determined to not give up...

I have a life time of running ahead of me... I have a 50 miler on my 50th birthday I must get ready for... It starts right here, now, in the quiet of my bedroom... Stretching and knowing that

Jan 28 2012 was the date of my last half marathon.....
BUT IT WASN'T MY LAST HALF MARATHON.









Comments