I feel sooooo good!!!!! (updated)

Well, Feb 27th I began another round of 90% raw vegan. I am am feeling GREAT! Its been almost 3 weeks and I havent been perfect but I feel comfy in saying its well within the 90% raw ratio!

I am sure people will call me crazy, will think I have gone off my rocker and will judge me as obsessed about food.  They will wonder if I am getting all the nutrients that I need. They will comment about protein and make sure "your eating enough protein arent you?" You might be one of those people who do not agree with my choice of menu.... and that is ok.... because I am definitely eating this way for my own reasons. I have seen where the Standard American Diet had gotten me and it wasn't good.

Its been a long process for me to this point. Five years ago I was downing 8 to 10 cokes a day, eating loads of buttery bread, home made chicken nuggets, and loads of chips and such. I gradually figured out that what I eat effected me more than I had thought. I struggled with Hypoglycemia, depression, severe lack of energy, low blood pressure and horrible tummy aches. I would have to talk my self into getting out of bed, talk myself into getting up off the couch to just wash the dishes. Over the years I have conquered many of my addictions. YES>... I was addicted to food. But today I can honestly say that I miss none of those foods. Sure I have a craving for a coke once every 2 months but it takes just a sip to make me realize it's not as wonderful to me as it use to be.

If you have been reading my blog this year you realize I went raw vegan back in Jan 2011  for 3 weeks (for medical reasons). I LOVED how I felt during this time... but over the past year I struggled on and off to eat 90% raw. I have had a pattern of going 2 or 3 weeks eating 90% raw and then going 4 weeks eating cooked healthy, with some insertions of junk foods in there :0.. But three weeks ago I decided I wanted to do this for longer than a few weeks. I set a goal of 1 month 90% raw. I hope to make it 2 months now! I feel amazing!


Here are some things I have noticed over the past 3 weeks...

1. ENERGY! ... pure energy! I have so much energy! Its hard to explain.
2. Less soreness! I have been doing 1, 2, sometimes 3 hours of zumba to get ready to lead classes... (I go april 15 to get certification).... and I have been so shocked at my lack of soreness... I might be a bit sore afterward and in the evenings but I wake up the next morning totally fine!
3. I need less sleep! 4 days ago I started being "not sleepy" until about 1am. I would wake up at 630am ready to go! Full of energy, rested and ready for the day! ( I did sleep longer last night 8 hours or so.... but it was because I mowed the yard, did lots of work outside, hour and half of kick my butt zumba!)
4. My digestive system is so very happy! No pain. No bloated-ness.
5. My taste buds are changing. This time around I am really seeing a change in what I crave! I crave fruit, I crave a nice salad of veggie taco! I dont feel deprived.
6. MY SKIN is incredible!  It's strange ... my skin feels like I just applied lotion, you know that wonderful cocoa butter lotion? thats what it feels like all the time!
7. I am loosing fat and gaining muscle! I weighed yesterday and I weigh 138lbs. ... My husband thought I was around 125lbs. I am smaller than I have been in a long time.... but my muscles are repairing and rebuilding! I feel strong and happy I am getting lean!



I am interested to see what the next month holds. I will be going on vacation and plan to be 90% raw during the the trip. I will be cooking meals ahead of time to take on the road and fixing raw foods for me to have as well!


So there you have it.. My Crazy Raw Vegan-ness exposed.  If you see me out n about and give me a hard time about how I eat that is ok.... as long as you are not offended when I give you a hard time about how you eat  :) Remembering we all have to find our own way in this world .. and we can love each other while we do!

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God"





UPDATED!
Here are a few links if you are interested in finding out more :) I have more but this will have to do for now.... :) off to the kitchen.... I bought a load of strawberries I need to cut up and put in the freezer! ha!

Dr Grahams website and youtube videos
 http://www.youtube.com/user/FoodnSport?feature=watch
 http://foodnsport.com/

http://goneraw.com/

http://www.learnrawfood.com/ (she has a cake video I want to try making!)




If you are interested in vegetarian and transitioning to more Raw Vegan.... here are a few links about Veg.

http://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100385

http://engine2diet.com/

Movies that are a must see:

Fat sick and  nearly dead

Forks Over Knives


Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue

Comments

Jenn said…
Where are you getting food ideas? My weakness with food comes from not knowing what to make because i am sooo used to meat and potato type meals. Also getting my kids and hubby on board so we don't have two different shopping lists! Our diabetes alert dog who we have for our type 1 daughter just alerted the other day to my husband because his sugar was 207!!! I know he is getting type 2 diabetes and not the autoimmune type like ashley. That scared the crap out of me.
Ruthie said…
In my family I am the only one that is 90% raw.... my kids are prob 50% ... What I have found is that I had to start gradually. Getting rid of sugary cereals and donuts first.... then gradually adding in healthy stuff.. We LOVE smoothies! All fruit smoothies! I have recipes I will share in the next few days....

I still cook for the family.... We have drastically reduced the meat in our meals... making rice veggies meat combinations and having black bean burritos etc...

Eating raw is simple. So not much in the way of shopping lists for me.... greens, fruits, veggies, nuts. I have a few dressings I use..... but its simple.

My next goal is to venture into raw chef type "cooking" ... making raw brownies, cakes, and more adventurous salads... :)

If you cannot get the family to go raw (which is drastic)... vegetarian cooked meals twice a week would be a good start :)

blessings on your journey! Hope you find what works for you and your family :)