2011 in review, Looking forward


If I learned anything from 2011 it was to expect the unexpected.

2011 started off with a something I never thought I would have to deal with, wondering if I had breast cancer. Jan 2011 began with posts about "wishes" and  detoxing but because I didnt know what I was dealing with I didnt share the true reasons behind my deep thoughts and drastic diet.  Praise God 3 weeks on a raw vegan diet, my cyst had vanished and I finally shared what had been going on. You would think that this healing would be all the evidence I needed to make the switch to a healthier eating plan but it wasn't the case for me. We all know that eating is far more complicated that we all would like to admit.
So many things happened this past year to convince me to eat healthier. The Healing of my cyst, the amazing energy I had especially during my long runs.... with one shorter run turning into a half marathon just because I felt so great and how my stomach issues disappeared (no more waking up in the middle of the night with tummy aches, no more horrible cramps and pms, no more issues with my skin)... all pointed me into the answer I had been searching for all my life and yet I still struggled.

One thing that remained consistent was my families  love for fruit smoothies. We discovered all three of my kids also have a sensitivity to gluten and I believe the reason we have avoided the flu, common cold, and other ailments this past year is because of our families increase in FRUITS and our attempt eliminate of gluten in our diet.
2011 was like a roller coaster in many ways.... weeks of eating great and feeling great, followed by weeks of eating not so great and feeling not so great.
I had weeks of fantastic running (once even a 37mile week!).. followed by weeks of no running at all (thanks to a can of pineapple landing on my toe).....I have had weeks of feeling like I could take on any challenge, followed by weeks of wondering why I even try.

Its the story of doubt and hope all rolled into one. I will try to take what I have learned from 2011 and apply it to 2012. So, for my first post of 2012 here is a list of reminders to keep me focused and determined over the next 12 months.
  • I am what I eat: "if you dont what to be it dont eat it"  (as I learned yet again on the last day of 2011 when I completed my 3rd half marathon in 3 months while suffering the consequences of eating gluten the day before). I will continue to wrestle with my 40 years of bad eating habits and stay positive as I gradually change what eating means to me.
  • Life will always throw your curve balls, SWING AWAY! ...I will try to be prepared for injury and illness by taking care of myself NOW. When and if something happens this year to throw me off track I promise to START OVER as soon as I can. 
  • God has a better plan than I do. I will do my best to sit and be still in the plan he has for me. Not to run away because of fear or doubt. I will just take a deep breath and say "ok God... lets do this".  
  •  Focus Faith and Fellowship. I will be focused on my goals, have faith I will reach them and believe that God will bless my life with fellowship as I pray to help women who struggle with weight, health, fitness, and finding God's purpose in their life.

My Goals for 2012:
  • Continue to reduce Gluten intake and increase whole real raw natural foods.
  • Learn the art of raw cooking and food prep.
  • Take the time to sit down and learn my vitamix and all it can do for me :)
  • Run 13 half marathons in a row. Dedicating the next 10 marathons to 10 different women in my life who need prayer and encouragement.
  • Believe I can be more than I think I can.
  • 100 pushups in a row and be able to do 10 1 arm pushups by June 1.
  • Complete my Group Fitness Certification, get my Zumba Certification, and begin teaching classes locally.
  • Reach out to womens groups and lecture on health and fitness, family nutrition and the benefits of being a healthy mom.
  • Celebrate my 22 wedding anniversary this summer by being as fit as i can be.
  • Turn 44 in Sept and feel better than I did when I was 22.

BRING IT ON 2012.....
Philippians 3:13-14
NIV:
No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven.

and from the Message:
Focused on the Goal
 12-14I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.


Blessings to you and yours for 2012!

Comments