Hold the PHONE! Ruthie does Raw Vegan?

 My breakfast LOVES me.

and I love it! :)

......

I decided I would share in a bit more detail what I am eating these days and how its making me feel.

On Jan 11th I started a raw vegan "diet". I am looking at this as "for a limited time only" type thing.. a "Detox" if you will... A way for me to get a sense of what this type of life would be like and how it would effect me.
My breakfast :) 3 bananas, frozen strawberries, pineapple, mango

I haven't been doing the raw thing 100%. I am striving for 90% raw, 10% cooked. No meat, no processed anything and no caffeine. My goal now is to try this for a month and after that look at what I am doing and change what I want and keep what I want.

Honestly I can say I cannot see living my entire life eating completely raw... Just as I cannot see living without having a coke and popcorn at the movie theater once in a blue moon.... I sure cant see living without having a bit of chicken or hamburger on a rare occasion. .. If I have learned anything through my "food journey" its that an all or nothing attitude doesnt work for me. I totally understand food is a lot more than just fueling my body. There are emotional ties to foods, (blablabla)... (you have heard me talk about all this before.. so I will stop there :).. ha

OK.. so... what's my rating of the Raw Vegan thing?

I have been SHOCKED. .
. I have, so far,  very surprised how great I feel. I basically eat a breakfast of fruit smoothie (about 430 calories) ... lunch of a BIG salad with greens and avocado, tomatoes.. etc... and sometimes a few corn chips and then have another HUGE smoothie at night... If I get hungry in between i can eat any fruit I want.... ..... whats shocking is that my blood sugar, low blood pressure, and energy level have been GREAT! I am not hungry, I dont have energy lows during the day and my tummy has been oh so happy. :) I also never wake up hungry like I use too in the middle of the night ( cause my blood sugar)...  Its almost like I am giving my body a break. If anything it feels like it has just relaxed into this and not working so hard (dont know if that makes sense)

 When I began this I didnt think I would make it 2 days. I have been very very surprised how satisfied I have been and how I havent missed meat at all. I have also been surprised how little I have been craving my old food habits.

The first few days of my diet change I experienced what I would call Detoxification overload (ha).... my body was definitely cleansing.. Since then my digestive system has settled down and gotten use to the yummy food :)


As the days pass I have noticed something interesting. My skin is so smooth! Its so strange, my skin feels like it has lotion on it and it doesnt! My wrinkles in my face seem to be less ... wrinkly and there is almost a sort of glow to my skin...
I am waiting to see what the next week and a half have in store... and can't wait to see :) I believe my bodies responding so great to this because I have NEVER in my life eaten this many fruits and veggies. I hated fruits and veggies... and esp raw.. ha.... I have prob eating more fruits and veggies these past few weeks than i have all my life! ha.


For now I plan on continuing my 90% raw plan but know I will want to have a little free meal thrown in there on a date night :)... (I did this .. this past Friday and has spinach enchiladas at a local mex food restaurant.. and it was soooo yummy!)... we will see how it goes :)

On the run front:
I havent gone for a run in a while... and i am starting to feel a bit guilty about that  LOL... We have been in the process of repainting a small home we bought to rent out and its been keeping me busy... gotta try and get it done and ready for renters asap you know... I plan this week to try and get a short run in before track practice but will keep my mileage low until I am threw this eating plan .... I am planning on a half and a full this summer and am so looking forward to warmer weather  and early morning runs!

 A last word on my choice of diet these days. #1 I dont think I could have ever done this year or two ago..I just wasnt ready and that was ok... . my cutting low on sugar and weeding through my other food addictions have helped ease me into something like this. #2. I dont see this as permanent as of now... but will hold out judgment when i am finish with a month trial.  #3. I am still learning, researching and reading all I can. (below is a book and recipe book I got last week.... I can't seem to find the time to just sit in the quiet and read but hope to this week... i will do a review of sorts when i am finished :) So far its been very very interesting. I know  many of you probably feel its crazy, and a bit nuts to eat this way.. and that is ok... Its not for everyone and who knows.. it might not be for me... but so far I have been pleasantly surprised.

HERE is a link to an article about the book

Comments

The Warrior Suz said…
LOVE IT!! I don't think you are crazy at all! It is obvious your body is loving it, too! I am so proud of you!
If you want to add more greens in the day, I'd say add some greens into your fruit smoothies!
here's one I drink most every day:
2 cups spinach(or other greens)
2 bananas
2 pears(peeled and cored)
2 apples(peeled and cored)
1/2 avocado
2 cups water

makes about three servings.
you can change the greens and fruit to your tastes...but this is so yummy and sweet! the avocado adds in protein and healthy fats.