Turkey Day UPDATE :)

I just have to write..  Just have to tell you... Today was the first Thanksgiving I can remember in allll my 42 years that I didn't have a tummy ache.

I am NOT exaggerating either! 

As long as I can remember. I was soooo happy and excited for turkey day. Cherry Pie, Rolls, and more Rolls, dressing, layered salad, turkey (just a little), corn casserole, rolls, cakes, cokes...
i was in heaven!

Then... every year... every single Thanksgiving.. 1 to 2 hours later.... sometimes sooner.... horrible stomach ache.

I always thought it was just from over eating. Because of course I would over eat and then go back for more and more.....  but now i know... it was the sugar overload! .. it was the gluten!

I cannot tell you how different it feels.

To eat and not have stomach ache. (even during the week)... I thought eating meant stomach aches. I thought pains and  noises were NORMAL after a meal. I always thought after a Thanksgiving meal that stomach aches were just part of the celebration. Normal.

wow. was I wrong.

I have lots of regrets. Lots of things i wish i would have done differently. Why in the world has it taken me  so long to figure this out? Maybe I just wasnt ready.

I had to be ready.

Today... I had turkey (a very small amount.. like 4 bites), a baked sweet tator (that i brought) with butter, deviled eggs, green beans (fresh that i steamed and brought), spinach dip with a few chips (that i brought) and for dessert.. I had gluten free apple crisp (that I made)...  I skipped the pecan, pumpkin pies, cookies, and upsidedown cake, I skipped the sweet tator casserol, the greenbean casserole and gravy and and and..... NO ROLLS for me.

So happy i am at a place where I can skip all that and not feel deprived. Not feel left out. I loved my thanksgiving meal.

I loved NO tummy ache!

Comments

Beth Daugherity said…
You always have been a few steps ahead. I started gluten free on Monday. I did a 10 day trial run in May but I was still an emotional wreck and it was harder to notice the difference then. Even in a few days, I feel better and fell less . . . compulsive? It is like, my stomach would feel off and I would need to put something else in it to soothe it or distract me. I dunno. It is hard to explain, but I do feel a difference. I miss you. I hope you are having a wonderful trip!!!