What is Running if it not unpredictable?



One of the many things I love about running is it unpredictability. It's close metaphor for life.

I set out for my 15 miler this morning and had to stop.

Had a great first three miles. Mile four my ITband started to bother me. (in my hip) I knew I had two choices. To keep going or to stop

so

I stopped. Frustrated but content at the same time. You see, I have been at this long enough to know that this whole running thing is about running for a lifetime... I set goals and expectations but have to be flexible and know when to say when. I want to be running when i am 65, not the typical pill popping aches and pains grandma.... Knowing when to say when is key to being a runner for life.

I might not continue on the thanksgiving marathon plan... and that is ok too... I know i will do more marathons someday. I might need to regroup and hit the reset button and figure out what my short terms goals will be... but for now.... I will stretch and stretch and keep running nice and easy and lift weights and eat right so when the timing IS right and things DO go according to plan.... I will be ready.

How can I be upset when I just ran 4 miles. When I can run 4 miles and be bearly winded. After years of not being able to run 50 yards with out thinking I was going to die. My body has done so much over the past 4 or 5 years. It has gotten stronger and more fit.... and I need to be content and happy with what i CAN do today.....while at the same time look forward to what is possible in the future.

but its still ok for me to say it: "stupid ITband!"

On a side note.... for my training certification I need to memorize all the muscles of the body... i will be doing this by drawing them ... and will be sharing on my blog the drawings as i get them finished. I will be using this blog again as a way to hold myself accountable now that i am beginning my studies.... :) hope you all dont mind . I have a Anatomy for Artists book and two regular anatomy books I will be using: 


First drawing hope to have up tomorrow night :)  

Comments

Jae said…
Unspeakable, deep love for you. For the honor of being witness to you, from the moment you were born till the hour we spent together today. You breathe oxygen into my spirit, God provides you as a calming, quite, resting place when my life is chaotic.

No matter what others around you think, He sees you. He knows you. He is pleased.

Love you...you are precious in His sight.
chris mcpeake said…
ITB can really suck. hope it comes around quickly for you
chaco said…
Thanks for sharing this. This will be a great help for runners especially for those beginners and aspiring runners! More power to you!