Eating bad to want to eat good. (updated)


It all started last Saturday night. Toy Story 3's fault LOL. We took the family and a few friends to the dollar movie theater. Its OLD style... like what I grew up with. You know... pre-stadium seating, Pre-surround sound, .......I love going to this theater even though some seats are ripped and it desperately needs to be refurbished. I would LOVE to have the money to buy that place and bring it back to its original glory. ....

ANYWAY

yeah.. so it alllll started there. You see.... this theater has the BEST popcorn in town! I mean the BEST. not to buttery, not too salty, not too hot, not too cold... just right.  I grew up eating lots and lots and lots of popcorn. I dont eat so much now. I have it in the house but never eat it. But when I go to the movies... I like the treat.  Last Saturday I treated myself to lots and lots and lots of popcorn :) it tasted sooooo good. And, although I had sworn off cokes I had a coke too. I mean.. what is popcorn without the coke. right?

Sunday morning I woke up and felt groggy, sluggish and terribly fat. I felt like I had gained about 15lbs in one night!  Sunday afternoon I made roast, potatoes, gravy and green beans. A meal I use to have most every Sunday growing up. These days I simple cannot eat beef.  A VERY small amount is ok.. but a normal amount is not good.  Beef has done a number on my tummy for over a year and is the reason (plus expense) that we rarely eat beef anymore.

All day Sunday felt awful. Sluggish, tired, drained, NO energy.
Monday? yep. aweful
Tuesday? yep... same.

Monday and Tuesday I began eating normally .. how I have been eating for a year. But I still felt horrible.

Whats crazy is this is how I use to always feel. I HATED HOW I FELT. And I knew it was directly related to my Pop corn "FUN" on Saturday and Roast-o-memories on Sunday.  I was determined to eat right Monday and the rest of the week and was shocked i didnt feel better until Wednesday.

I am blessed to realize now that my food choices are directly related to how I feel. I use to give no thought to foods and how they effected me. I ate what I wanted, what tasted good and if I got sick or a stomach ache I just thought it was a virus. Boy have I learned differently.

So... this three day adventure, and after watching "Food Matters"  on Monday has left me more determined to keep moving my mind and body toward healthier and healthier eating habits.

In the back of my head I thought if I had "conquered" my sweet sugar addiction then I was done with the progression toward healthy. I mean, come on.. how much healthier can I be if I am not eating sugar anymore!

So, I have come up with a bit of a plan for myself.... a next step in the evolution of my eating habits.

Starting today I am eating what I call a "detox" diet. I am eating only(LOTS) raw and cooked fruits and veggies, oatmeal, a tad of honey, green tea, one serving of hot black tea a day, almonds, and water. I am taking my vitamins and will have a protien shake once a day.  I will avoid meats, breads, all processed foods (not that I ate many of those on a weekly basis). I think the transition will be easy for me. I did this a few years ago...but i know this time will be much easier.

Today (after the storms pass this morning) I will be going to the grocery store to get my fruits and veggies. :)

I was so frustrated with feeling so bad that I want to hit the "restart" button this weekend instead of peddling backwards. I want to FEEL GOOD have ENERGY and eat foods that give me focus, and energy instead of stealing it away.

My goal is to stay on this plan until Tuesday morning. I will re-evaluate how I feel and for the most part will be using this as a "test" of my energy levels and how I feel.  I KNOW I need to increase my fruits and veggies although I eat way way way more than I use too.. I know it needs to be more.

This morning I had my oatmeal with almonds and a tad of honey, and I am still sippin on my hot unsweet tea :) ... so far I feel sooooo good! woowhooo!

UPDATE:
My eats for today are going GREAT! i love I eat and feel energetic! woowhoo!
breakfast oatmeal and almonds hot black tea
lunch this:




its fresh zucchini, onion, and frozen asian veggies on a bed of organic brown rice.

Snack: Honey Crisp Apple and almonds... water :)

will update later!

Comments

JRo said…
Not sure it will work for you, since you are eating even more cleanly than I am, for longer... BUT I hit the restart button by doing a day of green smoothies and or green juices. Something about all those greens, vitamins, and enzymes can really get my engine happily running again. In fact, that is the EXACT thing that is keeping my horrible pregnant heartburn at bay!
Ruthie said…
i am planning on a green smoothie or two for sure! :) blueberries and spinach leaves :)