Biggest Loser thoughts and my workout


I am not sure what I should concider myself in regards to the biggest loser. I am not a fan but I am not NOT a fan either.

I watched the first episode on Hulu this weekend and like most episodes I fast forward through quite a bit of it. I watch it for a variety of reasons. In some ways its inspiring, in other ways its depressing. I like the idea of people being motivated to loose weight.. but hate the idea of it all being about the weight. I like the idea of people becoming more active but hate the idea of trainers screaming and yelling at the participants as much as they do. I like the idea of getting whole cities involved but feel sorry for those left behind. Mostly it makes me more aware of how real the problem is in our country.

Biggest  Loser makes me sad more than anything. It makes me hurt for those people who are overweight and out of shape. It brings back memories of when going just 1 mile was grueling and seemed impossible. It brings to reality what we all know.....our society is filled with sick and hurting people.

It makes me wonder why our culture, our nation has such a problem on its hands and it makes me want to try and do something about it.

Mostly I think of all the millions of people who are sitting watching the show who are struggling to make it through the day. Always thinking they will start tomorrow.. or someday... always feeling overwelmed and with no hope. It makes me  pray.

This morning I went for a quick 2.5 miler ...on the way home.. just a few housing down from being home I was passed by a group of college kids who were running. 20 of them. This was the marathoning class. I came in the house, and went to the garage to lift weights. 30 mins later... the kids started trickling by. But there were others too. Other kids who were walking. two girls in particular were walking and talking. They were big girls. Both with atleast 70 to 100lbs to loose. They passed infront of my house and down the street... just as another girl from the marathoning class passed by.... she ran right passed them... leaving them in the dust.


The Dust. I remember what the dust felt like. Wanting to cry but not allowing yourself. Looking at the dust maker with envy and remorse while at the same time seeing them as doing something that was impossible. THEY were runners. I was a dust eater. 

I wanted to run out to those girls and have a "you can do this" conversation. I wanted to ask them what that felt like.. I wanted to share my story. But I didn't. Mostly I was sad and I prayed because most of us don't want to talk about being less than other people. Most of us don't want to talk about what it feels like to be less, unable to do what others can but wanting to so very bad.

I wondered....wondered if those two girls watch the biggest looser. I wondered what their stories were. I still wonder.

My workout was great. Back Butt and Bis in the garage on a cool day while college kids walked or bepopped past my little house. I lifted and prayed for them. I prayed for the runners, knowing that life gets in the way and in 20 years they might be 100lbs overweight. I prayed for the walkers.... knowing that change is hard and life is hard when you are carrying that much weight. I prayed for God to keep me motivated and determined to share my story and encourage others.

What does the season of biggest loser hold? I dont know.. but I do know it will have a lot of yelling, crying and frustration. Its the worlds answer to the weight problem.. approached from the world perspective.

I wonder if Jesus was in charge of the Biggest Loser what that would look like?

Eph 4
"I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,"

I Corn 13
"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

Hebrews 12
 "7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
 12Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13"Make level paths for your feet,"[b] so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed."

Comments

Josha said…
for starters, it would be called, "The Biggest Winner"
Denita said…
I feel the same way. Your post is so beautifully written from the heart. Blessings.