Lifes transitions and running

In times of transition.. times of change... running is a constant.

It hasnt always been that way for me. In the past, running has been the thing that got left by the way side and thrown to the wolves. The first thing that went when things had to go. Not anymore.
Now, when life gets busy.. I crave running. Where ever I am doing whatever I am doing and havent gotten my run in.. I think about running and dream about getting on the trail. Now its the first thing I want to do instead of the last.

What's different now?
Running isn't running anymore. Running isn't to loose weight, or be fit, or fit in size 6 anymore. Running is a way of life now. Its who I am.

How did this happen to me?
It all started with a dream of running a half marathon. It all started with a desire to jog 2 miles without stopping, it all started because I was tired of feeling bad all the time. I love myself when I run. I am possitive, upbeat, relaxed, mellow, focused, confident.

I dont have money to spend shopping or going on fancy trips. I dont have money or the desire to leave my kids for a week while I "get away". I dont need to get away from my life when I run.

I never understood why runners were so passionate. I never understood how they could be so consistent, so disciplined.

that's because.... I didnt understand.

tomorrow I will be getting in 8miler Lord Willing and the Creek don't rise :) (we have thunderstorms coming).... and I cant wait.

In this life there is moments of ups and downs.. running and fitness is no different. When life gets busy dont let the excuses of business get in your way. If so many presidents of the United States make time for Exercise.... then we all can! right?

how do we "make time" for fitness?
  • make it a priority. I use to say to myself "no matter what happens today... before my head hits the pillow... I have NO EXCUSE NOT to get my workout done. Some nights I would be doing pushups or heading for a run at 9pm at night.... but I was better for it! Destressed and ready to head into the next day.
  • Plan.... I had to look ahead and what was coming and figure out when i would fit it in. If you can schedule time to study, time to go eat with friends, time to watch your favorite tv show ... then you can find time to get a workout in.
  • Remember that its not all day. I use to fuss and fight with myself... that I didnt have time for exercise... but in reality.. it was only 30 or 45 mins out of my day. Seriously... I didnt have time to find 45 mins.. or an hour to get my workout in? Thats just not right. I had to put down the clowns outfit and all that i was juggling and re-evaluate.
  • Focus on one day at a time, what has to happen TODAY for you to get your 45 min workout in.
  • Its for your own good! I had to always remind myself... no matter how crappy I felt before my workout.. I always felt better after. "life is better on the other side of a workout" I use to say. ... and its true. The "bad" things in life didnt seem as bad... the good things in life seemed better! ... Why would I choose to not go when i knew I would feel better afterward?
  • A workout a day keeps the Dr away. I had to remember too that my physical activity was having a effect on my health. By this I mean.. often times we focus soooo much on weight that we forget the other benefits of exercise. It boosts your immunity, it gets rid of toxins, it lowers your blood pressure and stress, it gets good old oxygen in your system.... As a result of working out ... you drink more water and eat better! ... All those things Keep you out of the dr office! I have been to the Dr ONCE this whole year. ONCE! for the flu. Before I became a runner I was sick 5 to 6 times a year. Upper respiratory infections, stomach viruses, headaches.. you name it. ......not any more.
So,

when I think I am too busy to workout... I ask myself.... Am I too busy to get sick? Too busy to feel good about myself? Too busy to be happy?

the answer is always no. .....and off I go.


Until tomorrow.......

Comments

Denita said…
I totally, 100% agree with you. Well said!