Sugar, my history



Six months ago I gave quitting sugar one more try. Little did I know it was the last step in a long long journey that places me now in the most amazing place in the world. A life free from cravings, up and downs mentally and physically. I sit here feeling better than I have ever in my life.


My childhood was full of playing softball, climbing trees and eating sugar. Many afternoons after school, and many many times during the summer I would ride my bike with friends to the nearest 7-11. Returning home with a medium or large slurpee, 1 candy bar(sometimes 2), a row of sweet tarts or sprees, and gum.
After school a snack for me was a few glasses of coke and a whole row (package) of white crackers. Or coke and cherrios. (even if we were going to 7-11)

I was active enough that I wasnt real chubby or overweight. I burned much of what I ate. I struggled in school and had a hard time staying awake in class. I couldnt find my focus. I hated school, I felt trapped and unmotivated. I hated it.
Sugar was food to me. Sugar meant energy to me. As a elementary kids I learned, if I felt tired or sluggish, grab a coke or candy bar and i was BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS in no time.

My life revolved around sugar and I didnt even know it. Cokes were my feel good drug. I medicated my body and mind to make it through college. When I had babies, I would drink cokes and carbs like crazy during the day.... followed by tylenol PM at night. I thought nothing of the fact that my physical pain, my exhaustion and inability to sleep were DIRECTLY RELATED to the sugar in take. I thought flying off the handle at the kids was just what moms did. Yelling at them and then regretting it. Loosing my temper and having to repeat in my mind "dont yell at the kids, dont yell at the kids".........I thought it was just the way I was. .. I decided I just I was just lacking self control. ... ........but....... little did i know...........IT WAS THE SUGARS and how they effected me.

If you would have told me then "stop eating sugar and you will feel fantastic, at peace, and full of energy" I would have laughed in your face!

Life without sugar? THAT IS NOT LIFE.

As I yo-yoed up and down on the scale over the years I finally got fed up with what I had become.
I would ask God questions like:
"IS IT ALWAYS GOING TO BE THIS HARD?"
"MY WEIGHT AND PHYSICAL PAIN BECAUSE OF MY WEIGHT MUST JUST BE MY 'CROSS TO CARRY'" .
"WHY IS THIS ALWAYS SUCH A STRUGGLE FOR ME?"
"I GUESS MY LIFE IS JUST GOING TO BE PAIN FILLED AND DEPRESSING UNTIL I DIE, after all I was in my late thirties, not getting any younger and the older you get in this world.. the worse you will feel, right?. That's the way life is."

The internal struggles were so frustrating to me. I wanted to do more with my life. I wanted to be healthy but it always always seemed impossible.

As I began to workout and slowly change my eating habits I wondered if it would always be so much work. I felt like it was another full time job. What to eat, what not to eat, when to eat, when to workout, how much of all of it............exhausting.

But now I know.... it doesnt have to be that way. Now I know that life can be so much more. Life without sugar is GRAND. How can that be? How can life be happy, fun, exciting if you cant eat the cake at the party, drink the coke with the burger, or grab a candy bar for quick energy.???? I know it doesnt make since.... but its true.

The process of working through my sugar addiction hasn't been easy. What is different this time around is that I know I could be surrounded by cupcakes, cookies, sodas, icing, crackers, garlic bread, and candybars, sweet tarts and jellybeans........and not have an emotional or physical reaction to it. I can be around it and NOT feel deprived. I can pick it up, smell it, hold it, even make it and decorate it and I am not tempted. PRAISE GOD! finally. :)

I didnt know that the week before Christmas of this past year would be such a life change for me. The joy I have now, the energy, the positive outlook on life, ...... no naps in the afternoon anymore, no sleeping in, no exhaustion, no more having to talk myself into getting up off the couch to take care of my family......... ENERGY ABOUNDS! ........what a gift.

If you struggle... like I did... please open yourself up to the possiblity that you might have a sugar issue. Read, research and try just one more time to change. Life is way to short to give up. Life can be amazing, fun, and joyous. ..........I promise.

click here
and

Comments

Sarah said…
I mentioned to a nurse ... about something else... that sugar always upset my stomach and how much better I feel off of it. She said that sugar is proven to be an inflammatory agent and everyone feels better off of it. I tried to explain this to my dear friend suffering from rheumatoid arthritis who drinks about 60 oz. of Dr. Pepper a day, and is in chronic pain. She is TINY, but is constantly in pain. I just think she could be in less pain with less sugar, but she thinks I can't possibly know as much about her disease as she does.

Sugar is a tough one to walk away from initially -- especially when one tiny little taste can trigger a snowball of more, more, MORE. But, like you, I just feel better eating less, less, LESS. So very thankful to have finally figured it out..
Anonymous said…
oh you should have been at our nutrition club meeting last night! it was about sugar!