My weekend with HFCS :)


OK, so you know about my journey out of sugar addiction. You know how being off white sugar, cookies, cakes, sodas, etc etc has changed my life. So many reasons to not eat the stuff.

I learned a long time ago that HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) increased your appetite and causes you to eat MORE than you would if you didnt drink HFCS.

This weekend my hubby and I went to the movies and saw Knight and Day (great movie by the way) .. well, one of the things i LOVE to do when i go to the movies is to eat popcorn and get a coke. Yes, a coke... eventhough I am avoiding sugar... the movies is one place I allow myself to indulge. What was very interesting, now that I am more aware of my body and how it regulates my appitite... was to experince the effects of HFCS in the coke on my body.
We got a large pop corn and coke, of course we shared it. Once the movie started (30 mins of previews and commericials and eating popcorn).... I noticed i was STILL EATING POPCORN!
I ate and ate and ate. I never felt full. What a strange experience. I thought... no wonder.......

OK.. so fast forward to Saturday.. we were out shopping and we had a sonic gift card. We NEVER go to sonic anymore (use to be mulit week experience)... so we decided to get some small cokes and some tator tots for me (I was feeling my blood pressure going low and I needed some salt as I hadnt eating any that day).......So... I drank a bit of Strawberry Lime-ade.. and ate my tators tots.. (small).
We then go over to my husbands uncles house for bbq. About an hour after I ate the tots and drank some of that limeade... i found myself sooooooo hungry and thirsty! I drank FOUR glasses of water and ate an amazing amount of food. It was like I was a bottomless pit. I never really felt full. It was just bazaar! As I sat there and looked at my empty plate I thought about HFCS and realized what it had just done to me! I had eaten more than a grown man! YIKES

We came home and i was STILL thirsty. So I drank water like crazy. LIke my body was saying "get this poison out of me!"

All this makes me want to scream! NO WONDER I had such a problem with loosing weight! NO WONDER I could eat as much as my husband (who is 6ft6)......ITs so frustrating to know I was doing it to myself. My addiction to soft drinks was rediculously hard to break. SERIOUS Addict! 8 or 9 a day! Drank it for breakfast to wake me up first thing...

WHAT WAS I THINKING ALL THOSE YEARS!
(SURVIVAL I GUESS)


-----------
My workout this morning= 2 miles before 545am... and will do pushups and sit ups in just a second. I am rededicating myself to the 100 pushup challenge. The goal? to be able to do 100 pushups on or before my 42nd birthday! (in september)

wanna join me?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! having had eliminated sugar from your body for a length of time has allowed you to really feel your body and how it reacts. hmm..no wonder there is so much mindless eating going on...we are numb to the effects of sugar(of any kind!) on us. the more I read your experiences the more I want to jump on the wagon you're on..the "no sugar" one!
thanks!
Christina said…
Oh you had to post a picture of that Sonic drink, didn't you? I love my Sonic Happy Hour diet cherry limeade, and sometimes a small slush.
Reading your posts always remind me and keep me attuned to what I put into my body. Thanks for doing that.
Unknown said…
I just read Mastering Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels.

I think you will love it. I couldn't believe how much I learned.

Best book I've read so far about food and metabolism.
Anonymous said…
I've never been big on sodas or salty stuff, but I can chow down a box of raisenets at the movies in no time! So what I do now is, I bring a ziplock bag full of baby carrots and a bottle of water. I realize it's some mindless munching during the movie, but by the time I've eaten most of my carrots, I'm too full to even want any sugary treats. I think the nostalgia, good memories and even the temporary good feeling we get from the foods that are toxic to our body is what keeps us hooked, even though they lack nutritional value. Ruthie, check out www.therawfoodworld. they promote very interesting (and sometimes wacky) views on nutrition. Enjoy!

Suprchica :)
Ruthie said…
For me, i think its important to have times where you enjoy "bad" food and not worry about it at all. We rarely go to the movie theater (maybe once every 3 months) so its a BIG treat. TREATS are OK! its when treats become meals where its a problem.

I dont see living my life saying I will NEVER have sugar or HFCS.... but I will try and live my life where those things are in the place where they should be.. as junk food and occasional treats.

I totally agree with raw foods being the way to go... I know that is one reason i feel sooo much better today than in the past... God gave us Raw healthy foods... not HFCS or imperial sugar! :)