What do you see???


What do YOU see when you look at this photo?


Do you see two women who are FAT and out of shape?



Do you instantly think "how could someone let themselves get that way?"



Do you think "I hope I dont have to sit by them in an airplane"





What do you see? Whats your first reaction? Be honest.




Yesterday I saw a woman walking her dog. She was walking fast for her.. i could tell . .. Her dog was cute. She was large. Very large. She was so large her shirt didnt cover her belly. I dont think she even knew.

I instantly thought "oh. Look at her go!" .....I instantly thought "good for her" I thought........."wow.. she is so inspiring!"


you might think.. how could people that are 100 to 200 plus lbs overweight be inspiring when they are out walking? How could someone so unfit be an inspiration?

For me.... It takes me back to when I was just 50lbs overweight. I remember the pain I had with each step and how hard it was to just get out the door. So when I see overweight people out exercising I am inspired by their ability to get out the door! Their determination to walk 2 miles eventhough they have pain with every step. I am inspired mostly because they are not only walking 2 miles.... but carrying this at the same time!:::


this is a man pressing 200lbs.

Imagine walking 2 miles with just one of those.. ... Now imagine walking 2 miles with both of them .... how hard would that be? could YOU do that?





I am so happy to see overweight out of shape people out walking because they are not given up! They are choosing to be different... they are choosing to be strong and they are choosing to do the hard thing.

Being overweight and out of shape isnt easy. Its a hard depressing place to be.

But deciding to change is scary and getting out in the world to walk as you see others darting past you is hard too. Everyone else you see is MORE FIT THAN YOU!


So..... next time you see a overweight out of shape person on the walking or running trail. Give them a smile and tell them "good job".... and image yourself in their shoes. See them for what they are. Sweet, frustrated, determined, STRONG people who want to change and are doing something about it!!!!! woowhoo!.....

We all have our stories. We all have our burdens.
But we all have the keys to our own prisons we just might need some encouragement to help us find them.



------------
blessings
ruthie

Comments

RawBodyGoddess said…
My first gut reaction was sadness. Having also been overweight, I too know how it feels. Though I can't imagine being that overweight, I do know how people are treated/viewed who ARE that big. I also give larger people an internal high 5 when I see them out exercising :)
Amy said…
the other thing that I think when I see really heavy people exercising is how brave they are to get out there in spite of what everyone else is probably thinking about them. One of my major hurdles was being ashamed of how I looked, which kept me from doing certain activities - I still don't feel confident in a swimsuit!
Josha said…
several thoughts...
I remember feeling embarrassed to get out the door and be seen lugging around my 50 extra pounds...I'm with you, I'm inspired to see overweight poeple doing something about it.
After the intial, "Wow!" about the size of the women, I noticed their ankles and feet, OUCH. (and the cute pink sandals)
I thought immediately about how I'd have to turn a corner to keep Kaegan (autistic son) from yelling, "Fat Woman!" because he has no idea that it would hurt their feelings...he is just impressed with the fact that some people are fat.
I thought of the group of ladies here in town who have lost so much weight and get out there and walk and run and ride bikes and talk about their P90X workouts...love it. They Facebook about it and talk about it all the time...the encouragement they provide each other is astounding, and they are all making so much progress. One of them works out twice a day. wow. inspiring, yes.
Helen said…
Amen to awesome and inspiring! I'll never forget working out at the Gym in England. A lady who was probably 150 pounds or more overweight walked in with water bottle in hand and stepped onto the treadmill. I felt tears coming to my eyes because I felt her courage!!!! I sooooo wanted to hug her, but didn't want to make her feel incomfortable... At that time in the town I lived in, I hadn't seen any obese people; she really stood out. But more than 10 years later (and me now 30 pounds or more overweight!) still remember her. Her courage gives me strength today! If she can do it, then I can too!