Measurement of Progress

When I started this blog in 2006 I sure didnt plan to be writing 4 years later. 1339 (well this is #1340) posts later... I am still here... still writing and still trying to become fit and healthy.

I have said it before and I will say it again... this blog is what has kept me focused and kept me going.... knowing that I had friends reading and that kept me from not posting. If i missed too many days... there they were asking what was up... and you know what... its still that way!

Over the years I have struggled... just like anyone. I have lost weight, gained it back and lost it again (which has always seemed the pattern of my life) .... But today I can sit here and honestly say I will NEVER EVER be overweight, weak, and unfit again. I am determined to be as strong and fit as I can be until the day I die.

The difference today is that its has become a LOT more than just about being skinny. It has become a LOT more about than fitting into a size 6 for me. The more I adjusted my diet, the more I worked out, the more I got in tune with my body. The more I realized I was living in a prison.

For most of my life there was a real disconnect. I was a person who blamed my stomach aches, or headaches on things other than what I ate. "I just have a sensitive stomach" or "its something in the air thats making my head hurt"... but now I realize those very pains were signals my body was giving to tell me something WAS wrong!

I dont believe God created us to live in pain. In this life we are given choices. From friends, to marriage, from where we live, what kind of life we live to how much stress we allow in our lives. Our bodies, Minds, and Souls are precious to God. I believe our free will ... and yes... the devil... leads us to a life of pain and suffering. Satan does not what Christians to be happy and healthy does he? He uses every means possible to take us down.

I am sorry if this is too religious for you.. but I this is more than just about my physical being. If i am pain all day, (like I use to be), I am a different creature.
My soul ached for peace, my questions as to WHY God would want my life to be pain filled and depressing was a puzzle to me.

As I journeyed.... I have come out of that haze of self denial and self pity. I have finally began to life a life where pain is not in my life. I am living a life with ENERGY and POSITIVE SELF THOUGHT. ... I am living a life completely opposite of what I was living when I started this blog in 2006. I am no longer living in a fog of Fat, Pain and Poison. Its like I was living in a house with dirty windows but I didnt realize the windows were dirty. I had no idea how beautiful it was outside!

You see..... Its a new reality. One I had NO idea was even there. Life is fuller, more brilliant and HOPEFUL. I am not living to die anymore. I am not OLD and looking to a future of more Drs, more medicine and more pain. I am OLD and looking at a future of living life!

It hasnt be easy, and I am not hear to say weight loss, fitness, and becoming healthy are easy. Overcoming addictions is difficult. Foods (esp sugar) had a powerful hold over my life. The hard part .. the hard work... the struggle over the last 4 years have been very much worth it!

On day one of my blog I posted my measurements ... today.. I decided to measure and see how far i have come. As i was looking back and thinking of so many areas I have changed.. I wondered what has the change been physically. I havent measured or weighed in a year I think .. because it was always depressing and always the same. ... So today I took a deep breath and measured.......

Here they are:
Day 1 (2006) Chest: 37.5 --Today: 36.5= 1 inch
Day 1 (2006) Waist: 34 ---Today: 30= 4 inches
Day 1 (2006) Hips: 40.4 ---Today: 38= 2.4 inches
Day 1 (2006) Thigh: 22.25--- Today: 20=2.25 inches (times 2 thighs=4.5 inches)
Day 1 (2006) Bicep: 12 --- Today: 10.25= 1.75 inches (times 2 bis= 3.5 inches)

If i am correct that is 15.4 inches less of me today than 4 years ago!!!

What a transformation Mentally Spiritually and Physically! . What a dream come true.
What a blessing.

Comments

Amy said…
Congratulations, Ruthie. You have come an incredibly long way and you have perservered and accomplished so much! You are a great inspiration to me and I love the new look of the blog.