More Half Thoughts :)

Nothings better than coming home and within a few days finding out many of the ladies who finished the half have already committed to San Antonio! How cool is that???

The experience itself was amazing for me personally as I got to see all these women finish something they once thought impossible! Our first meet up was a 5 miler and many of them found it difficult to finish then.... as the months passed by they gained confidence and steadily improved! Most I think look back to the 5 miler and smile, realizing it is now nothing compared to what they can do.

For some it was a rebirth of sorts. To begin again is so special. Transformation brings life and joy to a once sad and melancholy spirit. Some wonder how walking or running 13.1 miles can have such an impact. Most runners know what its about. Its physical yes.. but more importantly its emotional and spiritual. The journey from couch potato to marathoner is one that I wish every person on the planet could experience. Doubts about self start to vanish away and we start dreaming again. In a way it brings back the child in all off us and sets our minds on what is POSSIBLE instead of what is IMPOSSIBLE.

I am in this for the long haul. I am a runner for life. More than that I am on a mission to share the joy of long distance running and walking with men and women because of its transforming power. What a great way to spend my life. What a blessing.



Now, for some less deep thoughts on the half.... Heres the list of things i found interesting-shocking-funny at the half:

  • how most people just stood around for an hour before the half... I was one of only 2 people who found a spot to just sit in my corral while waiting to start I loved the view it had to offer... thousands of shoe that went on forever was pretty cool! But i think people thought i was a bit crazy
  • I could have done without the tan girl who ran by me about mile 7 who had a fanny pack on and shorts that were going lower and lower with every step. Although she was in good shape i could have done without the half moon view thank you very much. I am sure she had no idea she was hanging out so much, or maybe she did and just didnt care.
  • I LOVED how supportive and encouraging everyone was from beginning to end. Many yelling to the whole group at different points "come on suck it up only X miles to go,.. we got this".. and the signs and people who lined the streets with sayings on posters like "we're proud of you (insert name)" and "two lonely guys want to meet marathon girls" .... so many were waiting to see who they loved come around the corner and the joy and yelling that happened when they found each other was great to experience. I loved the Dallas Police who blocked off the roads for all of us and yelled words of encouragement to everyone no matter how slow or fast... what a blessing these men and women were to us as we went along!! ... so much so I will be writing a email to the department and let them know how wonderful they all were!
  • I loved walking back and finding all my girls. I loved seeing all the people walking the race was great. What a different feel that it was up where the runners were. The runners were over all quiet and focused.. while the walkers were focused but joyful for the most part. talking, laughing, and encouraging each other. I loved yelling encouragement to those who were not yet finished.
  • I was amazed to see a woman who was 36 weeks pregnant running the half and another who was 20 weeks walking it. (i know this because i meet a "friend" along the way back to find my gals who was looking for her pregnant friend) :)
  • I watched a man wipe out on a curb.. he was in his 60s and BOOM went down hard.. but popped back up and kept going after all these young women said "OH are you OK????" and offered to help him.
  • I dont like cytomax... too sweet.
  • I guess I have decided i need to like a water belt so I dont have to stop at the congested water stations next time.. I had a lot of my time taken off because i stopped.
  • I mastered the art of text messaging during this half and really loved the texts i got from people along the way.

I think i am a fan. I know I am. I do like running alone and doing my own halfs on my own but the big race was fun and definitely motivating in many ways.

Whats next?:
training for a half with my marathon training group... so far i have 22 people signed up to train for a July 3rd half we will do together in our own "race".
I will restart the push up challenge this week... as I fell off that bandwagon a few weeks ago.
I will stay off sugar and keep working on my nutrition.
hopefully.. I will figure out what certification I want and by mid summer be an official personal trainer :)

on a side note... we LOVED LaHacienda !!! GREAT food! Great times!




Coach and I before the race :) I am ready to do it all over again!

Comments

Christina said…
I thought I was big shot when I ran 3 miles. Now, I must be super big shot because I can do 8. Haha. It is amazing how far one can go and when I read about people's running, it is kinda emotional. I always want to give all marathoners a "you made it" hug.
Josha said…
yay for your girls signing up for another! That means that you must have made it super fun and inspirational! I might try to run the denver rock n roll in november??? Just can't decide what i wanna do! But sumthin!
Amy said…
Loved hearing your thoughts on the half - it is a special atmosphere to run together in a big race with all those people, all shapes, ages and sizes and from all walks of life... love the pics of you with your family at the end!