Lets talk about food. (UPDATE)


Food. The good the bad and the ugly.

Milk, Chips, Sugar, White flour, Ice Cream, Sodas, Candy, are all bad right? (well for me anyway)

You see I have discovered my tummy doesnt like milk products... no matter how much I love ice cream or yogurt, they dont love me. It isnt hard anymore to stay away milk products.. they pretty much turn my stomach now because of how they make me feel.

Chips? how do i feel about chips you ask... Well, I use to eat Cheetos's and Doritos many many times a week. I couldnt eat a sandwich if I didnt have a chip to go with it. You are talking to the girl who would go to the local 7 11 and buy a Slurpee, a bag of chips, and a roll of sweetarts and be the happiest gal around! :) I loved doing that! :) So over the past few years I have slowly lessened our chip supply on our house.. and for the past year pretty much only buy Corn chips (like tostitoes) and plain Lays. Now .. when I do eat other chips (like I did Doritos's on Saturday night) it does a number on my digestive system and I just don't like the feeling.

Sugar and White flour: Well.. I am much much much better in these two areas for sure! Over the past few years I have lessened my dependence on sugar for sure... These days I only put the white stuff in my hot tea.. BUT it's like 3 and 4 teaspoons at a time 3 to 4 times a day! .. I do realize that this is much much better than the 3 200z cokes i USE to drink three years ago and much better than going through a six pack in one day for sure! I use to sit around eating chocolate covered raisins, dark chocolate, cakes, Cinnamon toast and sweet breads... these days my only candy has been plain M&Ms ... but I make sure and eat those with whole almonds... this means I actually eat less M&Ms cause it only takes a few almonds to satisfy me..

But I still have this little part of me that wonders .... what would it be like to be sugar free for months at a time? I have done it for like 2 weeks.. I remember feeling great physically but HATED the withdrawals I had to go through... it wasn't easy. but I did it for 2 weeks.


OK... so i am sorry I am rambling.. but i guess I am just trying to lay this all out so i can see that I have come really far BUT also how much more I could do .....

I know I am what I eat.... for sure! That was evidenced yesterday when I wasnt fueled for my long run! Free days have a way of making you realize how far you have come, how bad ..bad food makes you feel and gives you a desire to eat healthy because you feel so much better when you do! ....

Those of you who have read my blog for a long time know I have tried to kick sugar many times... I HAVE made progress for sure... but it seems this last little big of baby belly fat I have just needs the extra push of healthy eating :)

I have always wondered if I could actually get "ripped" .. you know like 6pack abs and cut biceps... I have always wanted to be one of those moms who is incredibly fit... I know 90% of being lean happens in the kitchen :) ....

SOOOO today.. Is my first day with no sugar and limited white flour.
I will be posting my eats over the next week to help kick start all this.. but my goal is to go until Dec 27th (20 days) with no sugar and very limit white flour.

I know I know.. its crazy to try and do this during the holidays but I figure if I can do it now I can do it anytime! :)

Meals so far today:
breakfast-----
cup of English breakfast tea with stevia :)
2 egg whites, 2 eggs with a mini flour tortilla
grapes
water :)
UPDATE:
lunch: turkey burger, one slice of wheat bread a tad (and I mean tad) of mayo and ketchup
chip crumbs.. very small amount

Snack: grapes and almonds, hot tea and water

Supper: turkey patty (the roast i made wasnt finished in time for supper so i had to improvise)
portion of mashed potatoes with no milk, zucchini and squash roasted in oven with a bit of olive oil, tea and water

Snack: banana protein shake... :)

ok.... so i think tomorrow I will just photograph my food instead of writing it all out :)

i have felt GREAT all day! no headache, just once craving after supper but i ignored it :)

happy day one is gone and white sugar stayed in the bowl all day and not in my tea! :)

woowhoo! :)

OH. had a GREAT workout at track practice today... Coach led "aerobics" coaches style.. lots of jumping and running and jumping... we had it inside in a gym so it was perfect as it was bone chilling cold out today... ... we had 28 kids there! it was sooo fun!

on the couch to half marathon front.. i am soooooo excited I think we have 9 local ... gals going to train... possible of 2 or 3 more joining! :)
Gonna be so fun!

Comments

Josha said…
I know what you mean about fueling your body. My Nike+ 10K in October...I had skipped breakfast and had eaten only a salad and half a baked potato for lunch. Runnin' on Empty was the theme of the day. do you like bananas and grapes? They will help you kick the table sugar habit..I like agave nectar in my hot tea...tried it? I once went 3 months without a trace of sugar, vinegar, or grains of any kind...the first 2 weeks were without fruit either which made getting "off" it all harder in that 2 week time period, but easier after that. The first 2 weeks are the hardest and you've only ever let yourself go through that hard part. I'm glad you're shooting for a goal that is past the hard stage. You may find that you are willing to go longer!
Good luck on healthier eating. Now we will help keep you accountable.

Maybe a healthy eating plan should be started the same way changes in running are done...10% rule. It takes time to change habits.
Ruthie said…
yes!!! i am a totally believer in the 10% rule to healthy eating too! I started out slow and cut out or replaced the "bad things" in my diet with good things (like protein shakes instead of ice cream and once i had that conquered i moved on to something else :)
I feel this is one of the last steps for me... really... sugar is a demon that doesnt like to be told no too! but slowly over the years i have almost conquered it! Its feeling good too!

thanks for the comments... such an encouragement you know :)