post run thoughts and ... so now what?

I am still adjusting to the fact that I actually did finish the distance this past saturday. I read a few things in Marathoning for Mortals yesterday below are the quotes followed by my experience.

"What will you do next? It doesn't matter what the old you would have done. The old you is long gone......That old you disappeared during the thousands of steps you took in training and in the race. The old you no longer exists" .. I totally agree... I do feel like the old me is gone, excuses that worked for me a few months-years ago aren't going to cut if for me anymore. I am a different person than I thought I was. Still trying to get my head around how this whole thing has effected me.

"A word of caution: Dont trust your emotions during this week. So many times a new long-distance athlete finishes and says: 'That's it! I'll never do that again'. Those of use with more experience know that it takes a few days of recovery before that "never again" mind-set wears away." .. I have definately been more emotional the past few days, which surprised me. But the words NEVER AGAIN really haven't entered my mind. Sure, on mile 25 and 26 I thought for a split second about never doing this again... but really that was it.

"You may find that if you're open to it, your training and your race can become a motaphor for living. You've learned that control is an illusion. You cant be more that you are, but you also cant accept less than you potential. You've come to understand that real growth develops not from the stress of activity but from the calmness of recovery." I am still process this. If anything this marathon thing has made me realize I am stronger and have more potential than I thought I had. I still am trying to wrap my brain around it all.


I will run another marathon, probably in the spring or next fall. I will also like (1) to give running a race a try, but want to find a smaller race and not one with 20000 people. or (2) run another solitude marathon but travel somewhere for a weekend and run it alone in a different environment.

The next few weeks will be recovery weeks. no long runs, just running for a max of 30 mins. This will be NICE! for sure. I will begin to get back into weight lifting as well.. working my way back slowly so my body can recover and avoid injury. I will be laying out a plan for the start of next week but it will look a lot like body for life but lower intensity for a while.

I plan on starting my "Wedding Dress Challenge" on Oct 1st, with before photos and photos from my wedding day. With the goal of getting back in the dress by June of 2010.

I am also more determined and want to focus more on getting my personal trainer certification. Watching The Biggest Loser, really frustrates me. It makes me so sad that those trainers use such negative techniques when working with the contestants. I have such a different idea of how it should be, I want to train and educate from a physical, mental, and spiritual mindset. Changing our bodies is not just about getting nice long walk in, (its a good place to start). Changing our bodies is more about changing our minds and how it effects our spirits. It is not just a check list of exercises and foods you can and cannot eat. So... with that said, I will begin setting aside time to study for the physical trainer test and hopefully take it in Dec or Jan. It's hard to explain .. I just feel called to help, and I need to follow that call.

As far as my recovery, it is going good. I have not had that debilitating soreness like I thought I would. I have, however been just tired. I took a 3 hour nap yesterday and this morning still feel tired. Another thing that is interesting is that I have not had much of an appetite. I get hungry but nothing sounds good, or i start eating and feel full after a few bites. So I am trying to eat often and healthy.

all for now.. I must go... kitchen needs a cleaning and kids need educating :)
oh.. I would still like to know for sure the # of people who complete marathons.. I have heard less that 10% as a number but also less that 1%. I have tried to find it on the www and have found both but not sure if its talking about US pop. and worlds pop. etc. Anyone know?

Comments

Josha said…
I read it in one of my books, but will look it up again.
thumbs up on a great post!
JRo said…
Crap, you almost make me want to run one. I DON'T want to run one, you hear me! So stop talking about how life changing it is already! haha Awesome post!
Amy said…
I agree with you on the Biggest Loser coaching, sometimes it is so mean and negative, and scary!