when will I learn!

that this longer distance running stuff takes FUEL!

Its always worked before.. wake up, drink a little glass of OJ and hit the road.. .get the 2 miles done and come home... NOT ANY MORE!

I was spose to do 8 miles today but i had ZERO energy! Legs felt great, breathing great, feet great... but no gas in the tank!
So i quit at 4 miles... my total is 5 miles if I count walking up there and home.. i ran all but a few minutes of the 4 and at the end this little college girl ran past me like a princess .. running on her tippy toes like she was 5 years old.. and I decided my last 1/2 a mile was going to be right be hind her .. so i sped up and booked it to the end. urgh.. to be young again ....

so.. thats my story... i will of course try for 8 tomorrow or monday.. but feel the need to just get those week day runs in so i can do the 20 that is heading my way a week from today (AHHH!)

now.. to go help my sister move :) hope yall have a blessed day!
Ruthie (now where i did i put my oatmeal?)

Comments

Nicole said…
I never gave nutrition much thought before a run (which is funny because I'm a dietitian). My stomach just couldn't handle much. BUT, in preparation for my first marathon, I decided I needed to focus on hydration/nutrition. And you know what, I feel soooo much better when I refuel and hydrate appropriatly! Good luck with your 20-miler next week!
Josha said…
Princess Ruthie...
Better take some fig newtons with ya next time! Or some peanut butter...I got some organic peanut butter in a squeeze packet, and I love it on a long run. Sort of makes your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth though! :)
I just watched your Transformation video! Thanks for the good cry. I needed to see that in a serious way. You are a God send, Ruth. I truly believe that. And amazing, too! Many people can could benefit from your story.

Amanda
Amy said…
That was one of the biggest lessons for me when I started doing the longer distances - I really balked at fueling up for runs and taking sports drink with me because I felt like that was kind of defeating the purpose (burning tons of calories!) But you will feel so much better on those long runs if you are properly fueled up!