Water and how it changed my life.


some of you know I have had issues with low blood pressure. Some might think this is because I run.. well.. it isn't. I have always had low blood pressure, no matter what my size... even when i was pregnant with my babies it was low.

Low blood pressure usually isnt a problem.. I mean USUALLY its a great thing... but some people eventually start having real problems. I began experiencing things like:
  • cold hands and feet
  • getting cold and not able to get warm
  • exhaustion, low or no energy, feeling like i could take a nap at the drop of a hat
  • waking up in the middle of the night, hungry
  • feeling dizzy
  • foggy thinking
I went to the Dr a few weeks ago because I took my blood pressure over the course of 4 days and it constantly read 70s over 40s.. and THATS not good.

Dr ran many tests, but everything came back fine. Meanwhile.. I still had all the problems listed above. When the dr office didnt seem to want to investigate it any longer and just said "everything is fine".......
so
whats a girl to do.. when she feels so bad and has no answers.

well..
search the internet of course!
i did some reading and found out that one of the top two major causes of low blood pressure is ...

DEHYDRATION

ok... ... but i drink water!.. so thats couldnt be it! ... well... I decided to test it...
last week i decided to try and drink a gallon of water a day. (remember)..
well
I am tell you ladies..
it has CHANGED MY LIFE!
I was drinking water.. but not near enough!

Trying to drink a gallon of water a day has changed me!

I am warm for the first time in over a year!
I sleeping through the night not waking up hungry (you see you body signals that its thursty the same way it does when you are hungry.... so i wasnt needing that slice of bread in the middle of the night... i was needing WATER)
I could keep listing things.. but you see that list up there? ... well.. all those things are GONE!

I am so happy to have found the reason for my lake of energy.

I am shocked and amazed that the Dr didnt say
"you could be dehydrated.. ... go home.. drink water" .......but no.... instead I had a heart sonogram, viles and viles of blood drawn and a glocose test... all to show i was healthy........

So..
heres my advice.

drink water.
Educate yourself about water

here are a few links
click here for a short but great article....
click here to read what the mayo clinic says about water
click here to use a hydration calulator to figure how much water you need
(it said i needed .82 gallons a day if i am running 60 mins.. pretty close to a gallon.. so thats what i shoot for)


Water is good for you
Water can change your life!

Comments

Jae said…
YEAHHH, for answers :)
Amy said…
Great information - thanks. I know that I usually do not get enough water and I really should try to do better. I just hate having to run to the bathroom all the time. By the way, did you have your thyroid checked recently? Some of those symptoms could be the thyroid not working optimally, too.
Ruthie said…
HI Amy,
yes they check the thyroid :) it was normal.

as far as running to the bathroom I read that after about a week or two you body gets use the increased amount (the right amount) and that you start going to the bathroom less but getting rid of more urine at a time. .... so far.. I have done just that :) at first going like crazy and now back to normal but output is higher :)
Josha said…
I can vouch for the urinating thing. I drink a gallon a day and sometimes more. I love water. The calculator says I need .87 gal per day. great post! can't get the radio show to work??
JRo said…
Yeah for answers!

I have low blood pressure too, and used to get really dizzy all the time. Then I was a lifeguard and drank copious amounts of water fearing dehydration from being in the sun for 12+ hrs a day... Dizzy no more!

The sad thing, I seem to have forgotten that, at least the eating raw helps too! ;)