I have made a decision......26.2 (UPDATE water :)


After reading, praying, thinking, and wondering I have finally decided to run a marathon for my birthday. :)



I got the Marathoning for Mortals book from the library yesterday and it just so happens that the schedule is PERFECT timing with my birthday. If I start the mileage at the week just after the long run being 12 miles then it goes well with the weeks I have left until my 41st birthday. The 11 weeks fits just right and it feels right.

As I went back and fourth as what to do I had lots of excuses not to train for the full....
  • not enough time on saturdays for my long runs
  • not enough time schedule wise to get a good base in
  • it was crazy to think to try it again
  • what if i get hurt again
  • 26.2 is just way to much
but as i thought of each reason NOT to do this I found myself finding my own answers. My long runs on Saturdays would begin very early and wouldnt interfer with anyones day but my own for the most part.
The schedule answered my "is there enough time to build up miles" question

as far as the other excuses... it just my fear speaking. People will think its crazy. I could get hurt walking to the kitchen just as easily as running a long way. The 26.2 miles is far.. but how many miles do we walk in an average day, going through the mall trying to find that perfect out fit? at the amusement park going to get in line for the next rush of a rollorcoaster or to wait in line for some horrible but yummy food? If i know I am walking and running this distance then I KNOW i can finish it.

I love the solitude that running gives me. I love the feeling of accomplishing something. I love trying to do something that seems so difficult. And when it comes down to it I just asked my self the question "why wait?" what am I holding myself back for?

So... 26.2 is what its going to be for me :)

No time like the present :)

If I fail.. then I will just start over.... .. simple as that :)



heres the gallon jug I have claimed as my own. Its left over from our trip to colorado... I have refilled it and will keep it in the fridge... with the goal of drinking a gallon of water a day (yes.. like i use too :) .... seems these days been there done that is the theme :) Ha

Comments

Jae said…
I be at the finish line....you won't be able to miss me...I'll be the one cheering and crying at the same time. You rock. Love ya!
Josha said…
makes sense to me! Go, Ruthie, go!
Ya...the time on the weekend...I've never claimed not to have it but to not want to spend it on training. I mightcould be convinced....hmmmm.
Ruthie said…
one thing that changed my mind was when I looked and realized that the long long runs (over 8 miles) happened only 4 times ... only 4 saturdays... so i decided i could do it. .. we will see I guess:)
Sarah said…
You're one awesome chick! I'm very excited for you! I carry gallon jugs of water around with me everywhere and ppl make fun of me for it!