surviving winter Ruthies 10k Mill workout

I have had two misses in a row. I am not upset about this fact though.. as I am mentally back in the workout game.. Wednesday I did a huge amount of house cleaning which always feels better and really did help my soreness (which i had left over from the day before :) .. Yesterday was coop.. and its just too exhausting of a day to workout when i get home ... Thursdays will always be my day off until coop is over :)

The winter has hit here (24 this morning) and although its a bit warmer here than where you are .. I miss those HOT days of summer.
I dont understand why my body reacts to the cold the way it does but once i get cold .. i stay cold. its like I cant get warm.

I know I know.. you are thinking .. "girl.. its 74 in your house right now" .. arent you warm now? .. the answer.. no. i am not. (weird huh).

so.. Because of this cold issue.. I have given myself another "ultimatum" .. Start getting those runs in and see if that helps, OR go to the Dr. .. As all of you know I have low blood pressure and i am sure this is part of my problem.

So.. I am giving myself 2 weeks so shape up.. OR.. i am heading to the Dr. .. I need something to work towards so I am going to do the 10k running workout below. I will be running it all on the treadmill inside so no excuses for missing. I will begin this on Sunday.

The plan i got from THIS website .. IF you want to join me.. you can copy and paste it into your blog .. then you can go into the table and change the days to meet your weekly schedule. (I adjusted it so i would have thursdays as rest days)

ANYONE WANNA JOIN ME?

Race day will be Feb 1st.


Notes about the schedule:

Mondays and Fridays: Mondays and Fridays are rest days. Don't ignore rest days -- they're important to your recovery and injury prevention efforts. Your muscles build and repair themselves during your rest days. So if you run every day, you're not going to gain much strength and you're increasing your risk of injury.

Tuesdays and Saturdays: After you warm up, run at a comfortable pace for the designated mileage.

Wednesdays: Do a cross-training (CT) activity (such as biking or swimming) at an easy to moderate effort for 45 to 50 minutes.

Thursdays: These distances should be run at your 10K race pace. If you're not sure what that pace is, run at a speed that you think you could hold for 6.2 miles.

Sundays: Sundays are active recovery days. Run at an easy (EZ), comfortable pace to help loosen up your muscles. Or, you can do a run/walk combination.

Note:
You can switch days to accommodate your schedule. So, if you prefer to workout on a Monday or Friday, it's fine to swap a rest day for a run day.

10K Advanced Beginner Schedule

Week Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday Thursday
Friday
Saturday
1 Rest 3 m run CT 2.5 m run (race pace) Rest 3 m run 30 min EZ
2 Rest 3 m run CT 3 m run (race pace) Rest 3.5 m run 35-40 min EZ
3 Rest 3.5 mi run CT 3.5 m run (race pace) Rest 4 m run 35-40 min EZ
4 Rest 4 m run CT 3.5 m run (race pace) Rest 4.5 m run 40-45 min EZ
5 Rest 3 m run CT 4 m run (race pace) Rest 5 m run 40-45 min EZ
6 Rest 3.5 m run CT 3.5 m run (race pace) Rest 6 m run 40-45 min EZ
7 Rest 4 m run CT 4 m run (race pace) Rest 7 m run 40-45 min EZ
8 Rest 3 m run CT or Rest 3 m run Rest Rest 10K Race!



I am ready to feel like a runner again.
I think this will do the trick :)

and just for fun.. to get you in the mood.. the classic.. treadmill video :)


blessings
ruthie

Comments

Josha said…
Oh yes, I've contemplated making my own treadmill video which would be a slapstick event.
Your plan looks great! I'll run with you on Feb 1, but I'm not sure I'll follow the exact same plan just because I already am running more than this begins with, but I would like to find a program that will help me improve my speed. I'll look for that. I think I have a plan on my ipod. I can't have you making me look quite so bad...you're fast.
Anonymous said…
That's the same plan I followed to run my 10K. It worked like a charm!!!:) I switched around days here and there within a week, but it still worked really well. You can do it!!!
JRo said…
Wahoo! There you are! I could probably run with you on that day... maybe we need to make a Nike+ team event or something. Then we can all get a cyber trophy! Hehe!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO with you on the cold. We got room heaters because the house just does NOT get warm enough. The only thing, other than 80 degrees, that gets me warm... lunges and squats! God Bless!