a first, thoughts, and a YIPPEE..


ok.. so i havent shared something that was a "first" for me.
Yesterday was a first,, and after this experience I can honestly say i feel like a runner :) LOL

all this reading about marathons i have come across many references to "hot spots" when it comes to running .. and references to "Lubricate well". Well.. my friends. i have since learned that long distance running does bring with it some interesting learning experiences. I have never had much of a problem with things rubbing me in the wrong areas. The whole reason i LOVE running skirts is because they prevented the dreaded bulging up in the middle which usually caused .. with me anyway.. the dreaded hot spots on each inner thigh. I have read where people apply jelly to their chests, arm pits, inner thighs,, and yes.. even their feet! I was horrified! I didnt want to go around all stick all over before i even started sweating!

So.. last week when i did my 7 mile run.. i wore my new .. smaller size running skirt.... i DID realize that the shorts part of the skirt was a bit shorter than my old "too big"skirt.. but didnt realize until about an hour after my run.. i had been awarded a hot spot :( .. ouch.

That taught me a lesson.. and drove me to locate our bottle of vaseline.. which i last used during the winter when i was washing my hands so much they were horribly dry. It was weird to be getting ready for the morning run before the sun was up and lathering on some patrolium jelly... I literally thought.. "what am i turning into.. some kinda running fanatic!" "am i REALLY doing this?" ..
I ended up having a great run.. and happy to report.. no hottie spottie :) LOL>

I have researched a bit.. and this is what i found..

"Early on I applied the ubiquitous Vaseline or other petroleum jelly. This works fine for about an hour and a half, then it degenerates and becomes useless if not reapplied. At some point the degraded petroleum jelly seems to make matters worse. This is why you will sometimes see volunteers offering tongue depressors with gobs of petroleum jelly in the latter miles of some long races. Those are not energy treats. They are for refreshing your abrasion defense if Vaseline is your weapon of choice. I wonder, how many disoriented runners have actually eaten these offerings?

There are lubricants now that are engineered specifically for runners and they work well. A product called Aquafor was given away liberally at races and expos over the last couple years. It works great and stands up to the full 26.2. Besides the fact that it works great, the sample size tube they give out fits right into a key pocket. There is a generic equivalent at your favorite pharmacy chain that seems to do the trick too.

The other runner favorite is Body Glide that comes in a speed-stick for easy application. From experience I can honestly say that these two lubes are far superior to petroleum jelly and will get you through your long runs unscathed. Apply a finger-full of these lubes to your hot-spots and your skin will love you for it at the post race party. You can also rub a little on your face to prevent windburn." click here to read the whole article

I am pretty sure ihave some Aquafor in my cabinet too! who knew i was so prepared and didnt even know it.. :)

Things seem to be coming together as far as my fund raiser part of the marathon.. but i am waiting to hear back from a few folks before i can post all the details. :)

And lastly i was sooooo happy to learn that a gal i knew in highschool, (was in my church youth group) .. is running the San Antonio Marathon too! I havent gotten in contact with her yet but A told me that she is running it! I was sooo happy to find yet another person crazy enough to do this! Cant wait to talk with her.. i have no idea if this is her first, or 20th marathon.. ...but cant wait to find out YIPEEEE!

so thats all for now.. i am off to try and get this old body to bed early.. i have been getting up too early to run.. but not getting to be early enough. .. not tonight ..

happy running.
r

Comments

JRo said…
Don't you love that thigh hot spot? That is what made me throw away all my 'cheer' shorts and buy grown up running clothes!

Let me know how Aquafor works. I have that at home too!
JoAnn said…
COOLLL!!!! So you'll no longer be the Hottie Spottie Mommie :O Yeah!
Well, you'll always be the Hottie Mommie but in a good way. So, tell, tell, who's running the SAMarathon ??? Love, J.