"when a bad mood strikes"

this is an answer to Janelle's tag that was "what do you do when a bad mood strikes"

First of all when I have a bad day I know the LAST thing I need to do is miss a workout. My workouts do many things for me but one of the greatest is that it de-stresses me.
I also try to focus more on how blessed I am. I struggle sometimes with wondering if I am making all the right decisions. But when I take the focus off of me and look at other people I realize I have it pretty good.
When I say other people I mean:
Stories I hear from people at Church who are missionaries or have gone on medical missions to Africa. Stories about people.. real life walking around people with names, kids, and worries. People who will stand in line for DAYS because they have 4 or 5 teeth that need to be pulled, or a baby that has been sick for months and they have no medical care, or Mothers who are expecting and are standing in line waiting for a small bar of soap and a razor blade so they can keep the newborns ambilical cord from getting infected at birth. (mortality rate for babies is HIGH in this area)
Stories from my friends in other parts of the world and how they would stand in line for a day just to get bread. And how in awe they are of America.. and walmart.. so many choices!!!

Stories I hear from friends or relatives about people they know that have cancer, or going blind, or other.

I guess I try to keep my life in perspective using bigger glasses than most.

IF I wake up or start having a bad day:
1. I find time to check out these ladies blogs
2. I look at fox news and see what's going on in the world (missing childrens reports, car bombs in Iraq) and I see .. I have it pretty darn good.
3. I MAKE myself workout.. even if i just do ONE set of SOMETHING.. It always makes me feel better.
4. Pick up that Bible.. good stuff in there. (This world is not our home.. we are just passin through.. helps get my back in the right frame of mind)

I dont know if all or some of you are Christians but if you look at your life.. like its a Ministry.. and that taking care of yourself means you are better able to care for others.. it Changes your perspective.

Try to go and make someones days. .. tell them they did a great job.. encourage them to keep going.. or to try harder.. .. I am here to tell you.. "the universal law of reciprocation" does come back to you.. it will make your life better.

K..
all for now..
blessings for a wonderful day (and be thankful we dont have to walk a mile to go get water out of the river to wash clothes by hand or have to boil it before we can drink it!)
If you live in America. you ARE blessed!

Ruthie

Comments

Josha said…
Great post, Ruth...AND...every now and then, I have to sulk for a while before I can back off for the right perspective. (here's my tag) Then, I think, "why did I do that?" hahahaha! And it was because I wanted to. When I finally recover and realize that I don't want to any more, then I can take a deep breath and live again.
We all do it. We have our weak and strong moments. You're doin' ok, Janelle! Just realize like you did in your post on your blog, that you are choosing to be in a funk because you want to for some reason. Find the reason and make the change....when you want to. No one can "pep talk" you out of it, that's why it's so annoying when they try like you described. It would be nice sometimes if someone else were in charge of my feelings, but alas, I'm the only one who can control that.
JW said…
Great post, Ruthie! And, Josha, I agree. :)

I am OFFICIALLY out of the "bad mood zone" thanks to pushups and a sweaty HIIT session today!! PHEW!!

I like how you said to do the workout, even if it is just ONE of something. I need to remember that for the future: to tell myself, "just do ONE of....." I bet I do MORE, but sometimes you need to go into it thinking it will be easy.. lol.
Anonymous said…
it is tru when you feel you having a bad mood day it's because you are only thinking of your own self. (speaking "you" in general terms) mainly i guess i am talking to myself.
you have had some really great posts the past few days. lots to think about. thanks.