My BFL "tricks" (UPDATE Xs 2))

After reading Janelles blog and after having a few weekends myself of not being as consistent as I want to be with eats and working out.. I decided to walk down memory lane and remember what it was the first few times I did this that helped my make such progress.

These are different things I did over the challenges i did:
  • I cut out all butter, ate only a serving size of bread or other carb. I remember making sure I didnt go over on carbs but that it was a balance.
  • I cut out all soft drinks. Water was my drink of choice!
  • I got a cheap wrist watch where I set the timer to go off every 3 hours so I would remember to eat.
  • I did my workout first thing in the morning while the kids ate breakfast (putting Jo's high chair in the workout room with me even!)
  • I LIVED for my free days! Ate all I wanted and then some .. two free day meal I vividly remember is having a whole side of garlic bread on one free day, and eating a dozen homemade choc chip cookies on another. I also allowed myself ONE 16 oz coke on my free day.
  • I kept my free day to a free day.. NOT a free day(s).
  • If I knew a party or get together was coming up during the week and I would have a hard time staying "clean" on my eating then I would just have a free meal and take one off on my free day.. ending it early.
  • I made sure I had snacks in my purse AND water in the car.
  • I took pics and measured.
  • I measured every two weeks to make sure I was making progress.
  • I stayed off the scale but for once every 4 to 6 weeks.
  • I started this blog. (huge)
  • I had a small calender that I would cross of each day.. . one have a "X" for eats and the other if I worked out.. it was cool to see my progress that way.
  • I stopped buying the unauthorized foods so it wasnt in the house and I wouldnt be tempted.
  • setting up mini challenges for myself .. not just a 12 week goal. some include: getting through the day without soda (used that one a lot it seems heheh), tummy challenge, drink more water challenge, workout first thing in the morning for a week challenge, not miss a workout for 6 months challenge)

  • remembering who I use to before being a mom.. remember I use to LOVE exercise and competition, I was an athlete.. and remember what that felt like.

  • even though I might not be happy with where I was concentrating on my progress in all aspects of my program.. not just weight loss.

  • I would get emotionally "mad" at myself when I gained too much weight. I guess it is what you call "fet up" and decided I would make a change no matter how hard it was.. it was better than where I was.

  • some sayings I used where:
"do I want to be fat and lazy or fit and healthy?" this was used more than not while I was laying in bed trying to talk myself into getting up and working out. (If I remember correctly its a quote from Pam Brown)

"No matter what.. I WILL workout before I got to bed today.. even if its just push ups, sit ups, running in place.. no excuses"

"How will that food make me feel?"

"Life always looks better on the other side of a workout"

  • From Day one many years ago I had a home gym. We bought our treadmill in 1995 and it is still going strong!-- some weights and equipment we bought at Academy, but most things we got at Garage Sales! :) you will be amazed how cheap people let weight lifting equipment go for! :) The reason I feel its important to have a home gym is it allows NO excuses to workout, no pressure from all the other hot bodies in the gym and the neg. self talk that comes from being the "only" out of shape person there, and it makes working out like the postal theme, not rain, snow, children, dishes, laundry, and all the other things to do will NOT get in the way. With a home gym 40 min weight lifting is 45 mins instead of an hour and 1/2 with driving and having to wait in traffic or on equipment :)
  • and lastly:
I had a friend tell me one time "dont try to mess with Bill's system.. he is the expert.. dont try to change it.. HE'S done the research..LET his knowledge be YOUR tool for success. Why mess with something that works? If you follow it to a "T" its guaranteed to work!"


OK..
as you know.. if you have read this consider yourself tagged! and Create your own BFL success tricks on YOUR blog. Josha has already done hers! (way to go Josha!)

I am off to do the 3Bs! more after I lift

eats so far today:

oatmeal with sliced peaches
marathon protein bar
salad with chicken
apple with peanut butter
UPDATE
lean pork cooked in olive oil, a few mashed taters, green beans, water, mushroom gravy.
will have a shake before bed :)

just finished 3bs!
squats 12.10.8.6, and leg ex and dead lift for burnouts
bi curls 12.10.8.6 and hammer curls and dead lifts for burnouts
back lat pull downs

I am so thrilled to have a successful day on eats and working out!
It's been a great day for my eats! No bobbles today at all! YIPEE for ME!
No caffine at all today either.. not even tea! but..
my lack of sleep did catch up with me and even though I had a good night sleep last night I ended up taking a 45 min nap this afternoon and I feel soooooo much better! I hope the new sleeping most of the night continues! :)


K. all for now.. have a kitchen to clean and clothes to iron :)

UPDATE #2..
I almost forgot 2 neat things that happened today..
1. sulin walked on the treadmill for 10 mins! (shes our dog jackrussel.. . I walked with her..).. I have tried this many times but she always freaks out.. but after watching the dog whisperer again the other day I tried it again and it worked!)
2. I called about signing up for Beginning Country Western Dance Class. Its a 7 week course.. once a week.. DH and I have been wanting to do this for atleast a year.. so.. Jan will be when we start! I cant wait to 2 step with my husband in the living room :) yipee!

more later
r

Comments

JW said…
Thank you for posting this, Ruthie, you are awesome. At naptime today I am going to make a couple of charts. For my first round I crossed off each day as I completed it and that really helped. I need a new chart that shows my new plan. I am still following BFL pretty close, I just changed up my workouts a bit. I can do this!!! I have to get back to my positive self-talk. I got waaaay off track from that and it shows. Why does that happen?? lol. grrrr. I used to say, "I love to exercise." "I can make healthy choices"... etc... and I meant it. Now it feels fake.. lol. I can get back on track!!!
Unknown said…
Good job! I am really excited to get up to Colorado in January and be in a better setting to eat right and exercise. I'm way proud of myself for having done it pretty well here in CS, but it's been slow going. Have a great day!
Tearose said…
Hello, I just found your blog from Janelle's blog. Its so nice to find more BFL blogs! Lots of great stuff here to read. I would like to add a link to your blog from my blog. Mine is http://teascrazy.blogspot.com/ and I like the idea of posting our BFL tricks! have a great day!

Tea
Josha said…
Great post...You've been a force of nature in my BFL success! Thanks, Ruthie!