thoughts

I just finished reading Josha's post and realized that I am spose to do 3bs today. I knew i was going to do 3bs today but when she started talking about her bicep workout I realized I did biceps on Monday!.. I did chest, back and biceps!.. WHAT? what was I thinking? Its crazy how I can just go in there and zone out to the music on my ipod and pump out a workout and not realize for 2 whole days I did it wrong! funny. I guess I am in such a habit that my mind doesnt care what I do as long as I do something.

so.. to correct my mis-lifting.. :) Today I will do Legs, shoulders and tris.. who knows.. might make for a better workout. :)

I have been feeling the need for a challenge. I love competition. I grew up playing softball and was very competitive. I loved playing on a team but the older I got (highschool) the more I wanted to challenge myself to become better and better.. for me.. it wasnt Just about the team anymore.. it was about self improvement. so .. in highschool I started training on my own in the off season.. going for long bike rides, running, and yes.. even lifting my brothers weights.. .. But what happened when I was no longer on a team (and in college, and later married and with children).. I didnt have a challenge, a goal, and accountability team. I was an athlete lost in a realm of team only sports. i didnt know what do to do or how to get motivated to stay in shape or push myself to better.

Then.. I started blogging. In a sense this blog has turned into my team.. and my blogging friends are my teammates. Its like I am still training in the off season :) .. I know there is no way I could have changed my unhealthy lifestyle if it wasnt for blogging friendships!

BUT..I do have one thing I would love to do..I think it would be so great to have non-virtual friends who were in to working out etc.. .. some other women who are in my town.. wanted to reach for a goal.

As you know .. I want to do something for my 40th birthday.. something big.. I have toyed with the idea of a marathon. but that seems so impossible!.. I have toyed with the idea of a sprint triathlon.. but that too seems impossible. It seems impossible by myself and I just dont think I could do it alone. Ideas floating around in my brain would be to do some kind of ropes course training, hiking the grand canyon, or just biking a long distance as a vacation. .. I am open to ideas but think it would be cool to have something really neat for my bday to do.

But .. I still have the desire to try something.. to train for something.. something that would define me as more than a homeschooling homemaking wife who is behind on laundry and thinks going to the library is relaxing!..

Just wondering what to do. Feeling stuck and I dont want to have my 4oth birthday (now 10-months away) sneak up on me and all I have to say is "I wish I would have.. "..

any ideas? (do you think i am crazy?)

Comments

Josha said…
non-crazy as my autistic son would put it.
Now, Nike+ is new to me, but so far I really love it. I can create personal challenges for myself on the Nike+website and keep track of my own progress as well as join virtual challenges if I choose. You win little trophy icons, and can constantly update your challenge. It can be a time challenge, speed challenge, etc. Nike+ is only 30 bucks, and I just sewed a little pocket for the sensor and safety pinned it to my shoe. No need to buy a new pair of Nike+ shoes! Unless you want them, then they are 100+ bucks. Still, not too bad of an expense for a healthy lifestyle!
Unknown said…
Fun idea! I'll be thinking of ideas for you.
Angela said…
Josha..I have the Nike+ too. But it won't work on my eliptical. That's a great idea Ruthie..they are a lot of fun.
Josha said…
right, my nike+ doesn't work on the elyptical. Its sensor is based on vibration. I love it for everything besides the elyptical, but even then I use the downloaded workout. It just doesn't record the results. I have the zoom jasari and I'm going to download a Christmas workout and the treadmill okgo workout.