Mensa sana in corpore sano

"A sound mind in a sound body"

Ok.. so I sat up tooo late last night and read a bit of Absolution. Although I think the target audience for this book was for men.. I found it to be very informative AND inspiring. Here are a few things I took away from last nights reading:

on the topic of why exercise and take care of yourself:

Economics alone.. The US government spends over 100 billion dollars a year caring for people who didnt take car of themselves. (for things related to obesity and its secondary diseases. such as diabetes, heart disease, vascular disease, and cancer and osteoporosis.)
A lack of physical strength also adds up to millions of injuries a year.. which turns into lost productivity and increased medical bills.
It is scientifically proven that regular and intense exercise, as well as feeding the body in a healthy manner helps keep the mind clear, reduces depression and releases stress. (hence the link back to ancient Rome and the latin title of my post)

another quote to think about:
He says as he was trying to figure out why some of his client succeed and other didnt: "I realized that even though I might be their personal trainer for an hour a day, they are their own personal trainers for the other 23 hours!" (HUMM>. got me to thinking.. .. I am the only person that can do this.. .)

and on the issue of Habits:
"Experts project that 75% of Americans will be obese by the year 2025!"
"More than 1000 people a day die of diseases caused by bad habits"
"Its our habits that make us or break us"

So.. with all that said.. I suggest you get absolution or at least check out his site.. its really good. ! (I am going to put a link in the right side bar)

The other thing.. I learned is that I have been doing my incline sit ups wrong! I corrected that today as well as worked all three areas of my abs.. I WILL be sore tomorrow.. I had no idea how little movement is actually required to work the abs. (knowledge is power :)

Heres my workout low down:
I did lower body today.. I really really tried to kill my muscles today. Squats, Lunges, Leg Extensions, deadlifts, etc.. then I did 4 sets of 25 Decline Twists which work regions 1&3.. and then I did 2 sets of 10 Hip Ups which works the lower region (#2).. Ouch is an understatement!

Tonight is free night.. its funny though cause since I drank my protien shake I am not craving anything!.. so who knows what I will eat. The DH has to work late tonight (homecoming) .. I plan on just watching DVDs and chilling!

so.. heres to getting stronger, changing habits, being an example to my kids,

Progress not perfection!
r

Comments

Christy said…
This is a really interesting post, Ruthie. The things you talk about are some of the reasons I keep trying and trying (and trying...) to get in shape. I do not want to be sickly when I get to be in my 60s and 70s and beyond, and I know that what I choose to do now is going to affect my quality of life then.

A few years ago, I volunteered on a regular basis in a nursing home, and each week I looked at the people there and wondered, "How did they get here?" It was so hard for me to look at them and think, "This woman used to carry her children on her hip, or this man used to plow the fields." I don't know how one gets from a healthy youth to a nursing home, but I suspect it has to do a great deal with taking care of your mind and especially your body. I do know that I don't want to be there.

Also, the 75% obesity by 2025 is simply staggering, but I do believe it. I think Americans are on a speeding train of poor habits, and it's going to be very hard to stop.

Thanks for the excellent info. Have a great free day!