Lets talk Eats...

I want my extra fridge to look like THIS again! ... it takes work and planning... not good at planning.

Over the years I have overcome my addictions to Cokes, Sweets, Crackers, Ice Cream... the list goes on.... Over the years I have transitioned slowly from LOVING bad foods to LOVING good foods.  I tried going cold turkey so many times... but it wasnt until I picked ONE food and replaced it with a healthy substitute ... Some foods took weeks to not crave anymore... some foods took months.... but I never moved on to another food until I conquered my addiction to the first.

So, over the past year I have been trying to live gluten free. I have experienced what life is like as a raw vegan, what life is like on the SAD diet, and what life is like gluten free. I have swung back and forth over the past year from living for weeks as a Raw Vegan, to days living as a SAD foodest, to being Cooked Vegan and then back to eating Gluten again..... A few weeks ago I went Raw Vegan again and I felt GREAT!  I LOVE how I feel when I eat 90% raw vegan! I have so much energy, my tummy is sooo happy! I sleep great, and oh wow my distance runs are fantastic......but for some odd reason I can't seem to stick with it. I also havent been able to stick with eating gluten free either. Knowing how bad Gluten makes me feel and the tummy aches that come along with it and I still want to eat it.
Why?
I have figured out many reasons. Habit, 40  years of eating and not worrying about the contents of food, Living in a gluten laden society, Lack of planning, ..... lots of reasons.

So.... a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to make a goal of going a whole month without gluten. Its been 3 weeks and I havent been perfect but I have done well. Only 2 tortillas and half a piece of regular bread... (of course I did reap the "benefits" of my choices LOL....with tummy aches.).... But I have been happy to have done as well as I have over the past 3 weeks.

Here's the question I asked myself.... IF taking on one food issue at a time works so well for me... why change what works.
Now my goal is to go gluten free for another month.... to do the work involved to create a gluten free kitchen and learn how to cook for my 3 kids who also have gluten issues. My biggest issue with gluten free and raw vegan living... shoot... just eating in general is LACK OF PLANNING. I have decided once a week I will have a day that I plan and shop and get my act together for the week. This week I will do this on Sunday.

I have a feeling that once my gluten living is all figured out transitioning to 90% raw will be much easier.
Post 13.1 run nutrition:
This past week i stayed very close to 50% raw vegan. I had issues with low energy from Saturday thru Wednesday ... I finally figured out I was dehydrated. I found I felt wonderful after my smoothies but a few hours later I started feeling sluggish again..... I thought my lack of energy was simply the rest I needed from 13.1.... but my hubby suggested I drink some gatorade and lots of water and BOOM i felt much better.  So now for this next week  I am focused on increasing my water intake and upping my fruits n veggies to more like 75% raw.... I had NO issues after running my 13.1 when i was 90% raw... I know its not for everyone but wow it works for me.

IN other news... we have a long road trip coming up... I am planning on precooking meals, taking the vitamix along for smoothies and have set a goal of only eating out 4 times while on the road!

Planning a 5 or 6 miler today.... its beautiful here! Hope its stays that way and the wind doesnt blow it for me.... if so I will do some on the dreadmill....

gotta get going.... schooling for the kids, cleaning, .. you know life. ...

thanks for readin!


--------------
The longer I live the less confidence I have in drugs and the greater is my confidence in the regulation and administration of diet and regimen.
– John Redman Coxe, 1800

Comments

Sarah said…
When you travel, look for Sprouts grocery stores: http://sprouts.com/stores/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=TX&zipcode=&commit=Go EXCELLENT fresh fruits/ veggies at GREAT prices. They also have organic stuff and lots of gluten free products. Those prices are as expensive as most everything else, but their produce is AWESOME!