What if You dont like who you are.......

What if you dont like who you are.
Waht if you dont like what you have become.
What if you look at your youth and think its gone never to be found again.
What if you have aches, pains, illness and every year just feel yourself getting older and older.

That was me... years of me... this was who i was... no time for exercise... I tried but hated it... no time to eat right either.



I was exhausted. Trips to the dr for bronchitis, flu, upper respiratory infections, crack ribs from asthma, walking pneumonia, the c-sections I had left me with painful scaring, my feet hurt constantly, monthly issues too miserable to mention, suffice it to say I lived on Tylenol for 5 to 7 days of the month. Stomach aches? I didn't have stomach aches.. I thought it was normal!

Normal.. ha. I had no idea the pain I was putting myself through.

No Doctor, in all my life ever told me what I ate mattered. They told me I needed to loose 20 or 30 or 50 pounds... but that was it. I took a nutrition class in highschool and in college. I knew how to eat healthy.  Lots of milk, lots of grains, meat at every meal for protein, and make sure and eat fruits and veggies... but if you dont like fruits and veggies just take some vitamins... you will get what your body needs that way.

This time last month I had eating totally SAD diet for a whole day... Donuts, Koloche, for breakfast, hamburger onion rings and dp for lunch... and I cannot remember what for supper... but it was SAD.
I knew what I was doing, I was having a "free day"... I hadn't eating that bad in years...  I hadn't had a donut in over a year...... what I found so very surprising wasn't the stomach ache.. it was the flu like symptoms I experienced prior to the stomach ache. Hot n cold flashes, nausea, headache, lethargy.........  and that was it. ... That was all I needed to convince me to do a week of 90% raw.
Tomorrow will be 1 month of trying to eat 90% raw ... and I feel great.

Have I been perfect? NO.  But was is so very cool about all this is that I feel amazing! So much better.


I have been reading and watching all I can on raw vegan diet.... I am not totally sold on a single method ... I am still in the gathering stage and am focusing on what works for ME.
Here is a  I found this week that I think are interesting and inspiring..



So.... what if your unhappy with where you are? ... I know how you feel.
Back then I dreamed of a day where I LOVED fruits more than sodas... where I craved salad over hamburger and fries... I considered people who eat the way I am eating today to be a bit NUTS! How could anyone be happy with a choice of fruits and veggies as their main source of food. I use to worry and think THOSE people had real issues with food. In reality... it was ME who had issues.

Will I never eat meat, spaghetti, fried cheese, burgers, cokes, garlic bread again? sure I will..... will it be the core of my diet......nope.

I love what eating healthier is doing for me. I plan on a mostly RAW VEGAN thanksgiving showing on my plate and I am excited to say I will be  loving my food. If I can change what I LOVE to eat... anyone can!
-------------
ON the workout front... I did 2.5 miles yesterday morning that pretty much just sucked. I went back out last night and got 4 more miles in and it was WONDERFUL. I had a new PR for my 2 mile and felt great afterward. Tonight is 8 miles... nice and easy does it... the weather is amazing and I hope to really enjoy it!

My eats front has been good... smoothies and fruits and a big salad a day.... here is my salad from lunch today :



I am so very thankful for friends who have shown me diet matters and pointing out that my food choices and activity level might have been what was causing all health issues. In reality I doubt that if a Dr had told me "my SAD diet was why I was always so ill" I probably would have believed them. I wasn't ready.... I wasn't fed up enough with where I was to change.  I am not perfect in this journey and thats ok... its the small steps to progress that make permanent change.


so what if you dont like who you are?
What I have learned is you can change it. Change your diet.. change your activity level... change what your mind to be healthy and young... Be patient with yourself... My journey has been almost 6 years in the making... I have had my ups and downs.. my triumphs and depressions... What is important is to keep starting over and realize YOU DO have a choice. It's not easy, but neither is being ill and carrying extra weight all the time.

Comments

The Warrior Suz said…
Always love reading your story.