Let the detox begin...

I have had my share of food addictions over the past 40 years.
Three Musketeers bars, crackers, Cheerios, Cokes... Just to name a few...

I am here to fess up once again... I have a nagging addiction that I love and hate. (Ha that's addiction isn't it) It all started around Christmas time, holiday shopping, cold weather, and candy canes ...... Yep candy canes. The seemingly innocent cane of candy was peppermint heaven to me!!!

Since realizing my relations to gluten laden foods I have pretty much stopped any and all candy eating. Gone are the days of grabbing whatever while I waiting in line at the check out. Now I realize that 99% of the foods on that display were making me sick. And so it was for peppermint candy canes....I was eating gluten free but I started feeling awful... Exhausted. It took a fees for me to figure out not all candy canes are created equal.. And yes the ones I was eating contained gluten. So then I found BOBS .. Bobs candy canes were gluten free and I was happy.

But then, the holidays were over and I finally ate thru my stash of Bobs canes and was left with no more peppermint joy in my life. I searched the Internet and found out Altoids are gluten free !!!

And thus began my ALTOID ADDICTION...

WHO GETS ADDICTED TO ALTOIDS...????? What IS that? At the grocery store i am know as the Altoid lady the cashiers grab a box off the shelf before I get to them and ask ONE OR TWO. ???

it's getting close to June and I am still in love with my altoids. I prob average a box every other day... Taking into consideration my string of days when I had 0 and the string of days when I had 2 boxes...

What is it with these peppermint wonders???
Why do I love them so?

I think it has a lot to do with how many NOs I have to say in a day... 98% of the food in the store I cannot eat... So to find a candy that I love AND I can say yes too ... It's wonderful.

Some people would say "what's wrong with eating altoids.. They are not that bad for you"
For me I HATE the addiction part... I HATE craving something that isn't healthy... I lived most of my life that way and I saw what it got me...

I have so many habits that I have changed to healthy and now I would like to conquer my ALTOID habit :) ha... I want a healthier version... And so begins my quest...

As far as food goes I have been struggling to find balance between the "poor little me I can't have this or that" and the "eat all I want of this is or that" reality is JUST BECAUSE ITS GLUTEN FREE DOENS T MEAN ITS HEALTHY!!!

I have tried to maintain at least and average of 50 to 75% raw in my diet over the past several months which is great ESP where I began .... I have decided I want to clean up my act and detox and reboot my system... So today I begin again a short trial of Mostly Raw Vegan. (Striving for 90% raw)

I am not an all or nothing kinda gal when it comes to food and eats... I believe in doing what I can take care of the body I have now... One which took 40 years of abuse... Raw vegan is a refreshing relaxing thing for my body. After years of working so very hard it's nice to eat and know its easy on my system. I dream of someday making raw vegan amazing foods in my kitchen ... Of it being just the way I live and no big deal... But reality is this is tough. It's tough to be a health freak in such a "in your face unhealthy foods" world.

I know this wont go perfectly and I know more than likely it won't last long...I have no big dreams of never eating cooked meat or veggies ever in my life.... I don't want people to think as I eat this way that I am judging them and their choices.... I do know this way of eating makes me feel amazing physically and mentally... The times I have done this in the past my skin glowed and my energy level was ridiculous... And I swore to never eat "normal" again...
I put very little pressure on myself and this time will simply enjoy and hopefully fall in love with food that really does love me back.

( below are several photos ... The food shots are my meals from today...
The foot shot is one I took after class Thursday ... Thank goodness it wasn't broken!!! And I think
I am good as new pretty soon!! )

Let the detox begin....



























Comments

Ruthie said…
Let the record show we grilled tonight n I had corn, broccoli amd green beans off the grill... I amd thrilled with my day as I loved the raw I ate today... A bit more raw before bed :)