What have we done to ourselves?

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price.  
Therefore honor God with your body," 1 Corn 6:19-20


I use to be there. I remember. I didn't care, really... so .. I get it.

I understand the "barely making it through the day", the "there is NO WAY I can make it all day without the energy I get from that coffee or soda", and the "It won't hurt, just for today" part of life. Exhaustion isn't fun. Ever been stressed because you can't get yourself motivated to get your lazy fat butt off the couch and clean the kitchen, oh, I have.  To be at a place where you HATE  what you have become but lack the ability to do anything about it.. yeah.. THAT SUCKS.

I am not saying all this to brag and tell you "look at me now". I am saying this so you will know I used to be there. I remember. I get it. And.... when you hear me say SNAP OUT OF IT WOMAN! You will realize I do it because I love you.

This stupid screwed up world we live in leads us to believe that the people that look like they have it all together, really do...  have it all together. Reality, my blogging friends, is that that is far from true.  To "have it all together" doesn't mean much if a section of your life is left stashed away and ignored. So, go ahead and sacrifice the relationships with your kids so you can work overtime to get more money. Go ahead and live a life that is filled with sleeping pills and night and caffeine all day. Go ahead and make the excuse that you don't have time to cook meals for your family because you are 'too tired' and "don't feel like cleaning the kitchen afterward" all the while your family shoves cholesterol laden foods down thier throats. Keep on drinking those sodas, all the while telling your kids "no, you can't have any, its not good for you". .......

Remember.. I get it. (All those things listed above.. .. I DID  !)

When you are in a situation where you feel like there is no hope, no possible chance of getting out of the hole you dug.... all you CAN do ... is survive.

What have we done to ourselves?

WE have lied. We have cheated. We have stolen. We have degraded. We have detached. ......FROM OURSELVES!!!!

THAT is why its so RIDICULOUSLY HARD to do this by ourselves.  Telling ourselves to have the willpower to make it through the day without a soda is easy. .... actually doing it.....thats a different story.

I wonder why. Why we choose to put ourselves last. Why we choose to lie to ourselves about what we have done, cheating our lives of energy, longevity and happiness. Why have we chosen to steal away so many years of health, opting for "wasting away" or "growing old". Why do we choose to detatch ourselves from our choices and degrade ourselves with negativity and such horrible self talk?
BECAUSE ITS ABOUT SURVIVAL.

Could it be there is a more serious battle going on? What if... What if there is actually a  spiritual fight happening. Does the devil want to see us happy? Content? STRONG POWERFUL women of God? NOOOOOO. What if... what if, the devil is happily watching our christian women eat and eat and eat themselves into a life of depression, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Wouldn't the devil just LOVE to send us all to an early grave? Think of the impact a STRONG COURAGEOUS HEALTHY WOMAN OF GOD could have on her children, her husband, her friends, her family, her friends children, her grandchildren, ......(the list goes on and on). What if......what if Mother Teresa choose to keep her wealth and give up her health by choosing to be a glutton. What if she took a different path and decided not to not care for her body, mind and spirit. What if her bad choices had killed her at 67 instead of  living until 87? How many people would she not have influenced?

Do you get what I am saying? Its simple, really. Whether we like it or not, we influence others. Our choices, our actions, our beliefs, our words, and our health.

Only when we begin to practice loving ourselves as Jesus loves us, ... only then can we begin to change. Practice speaking to yourself in LOVE and Patience, as Jesus would. FORGIVE yourself for the past mistakes, (the dozen cookies or two gallons of coke you drank today) and be determined to do better. Love yourself enough to LOVE YOURSELF. Love is tough you know. Sure.. its easy to say you love yourself ... but do you love yourself like Jesus loves you? Do you BELIEVE there is avenue for change in your life?

Life isn't easy. A woman ruined that a while ago didn't she? Perfection isn't possible in this world. So we can let that go. Be who we were meant to be, before its too late! Snap out of it and get up and DO SOMETHING!!!

Pray, Plan, and PARTICIPATE in your life. Stop making excuses that your too tired, too busy, or too lazy..... Did God create us to be LAZY? He created us to glorify Him didnt he........ Oops,,,,. Shoot. To think of my lazy self .... and God lookin at me thinking "dear child, get up and DOOOOO SOMETHING!". (and the devil whispering... oh.. naw.. just one more episode of Oprah) ... I am ashamed of the time I have wasted. I am ashamed of how I let the world rule my thoughts, my plans, my desires.

The simple hard truth is I have a choice. I didnt get here by magic. I didnt wake up one day and become 170lbs.. and i didnt wake up the next morning a size 4. Things led up to both of those results. Could I choose to go back to 170... sure. But I like making the devil unhappy.

The AMAZING THING is.. God designed our bodies to like certain foods, to crave certain things, to work on certain types of energy. Man came along and poisoned what God has made. Processed foods, filled with chemicals. Our bodies are on toxic overload and we dont even know it. Our bodies were designed to work, and to rest.  I lived 40plus  years in a toxic body that was totally exhausted and had NO IDEA I was doing it all to myself.

I praise God for setting me on the path to health and fitness. I praise God for answering my tear-filled prayers so many years ago, because I know where I would be if He hadn't helped me changed. I praise God for helping me take the pressure off myself and helping me realize its not as hard as I was making it out to be. Helping me realize I just have to keep going, keep trying, and keep starting over.

"Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light." Micah 7:8

Comments

Laura Odom said…
Thanks. Needed to hear that today. ;)