Self Imposed Limitations and thoughts on personal trainers

Another day closer. I sit here at the end of the day.. tired and thinking how will i have the energy to get through 26.2. But I know I will .... it might take me 8 hours.. but i will finish it.

With the exception of walking and joggin just a tad at track practice this morning I had no exercise today.... which is fine. I planned on resting today anyway. Tomorrow I think I have a 30 min run on my plan and will get that done sometime tomorrow. I would like to run outside but it depends on the weather.

I was speaking with coach today about some how some people start and stop programs.. they quit exercising and have to start "over" weeks later... .. in turn making it harder on themselves than if they would have just kept going. We visited about the power of self talk, about why some people need a personal trainer, and what PTs are really there for.

I believe a personal trainer's main job is to help their client weed through the negative self talk and give them tools to get through those days when they want to quit. What else does a personal trainer do (or atleast what I think a PT should do?) .. they should be the voice of their clients inner athlete, the voice of positive self talk, ingraining in the clients head that "I am worth it" "I can change" "I do have the ability to make it through this" and "I refuse to fail" ...........If you think about it .. our society is filled with messages of negativity, esp when it comes to personal self esteem/ self talk, and this and many other factors leaves us with a society of people who, for the most part, have given up, made do, and believe they are the way they are and that its useless to try and change.

One thing I have learned over the last few years is that I have to be my own personal trainer. I had to find ways to make myself get those workouts in and say yes to controlling my diet. So I leave you with a copy of a post I wrote on July 6th 2006 when I first realized this would be an important part of my ability to change. I find the quote from this post by bill is one that has even more meaning today than it did then. Here's to breaking through our self-imposed limitations and being more than we thought possible!

"I believe what you perceive as your best effort is a self-imposed limitation. I believe you are capable of much more than you realize" ___Bill Phillips (body for life)


Ok.. so most of my life as a child/teen was filled with sports, softball mostly, and music (band, clarinet).. both of those areas I excelled in.. I reached some amazing goals that I thought were not possible... I often ask myself why.. what was so special about me? Well.. I realize now that it wasnt ME.. ( I mean it was me but not all me).. I had coaches, men who loved the sport, or the music, and taught me how to improve. These coaches pushed me when I thought was good enough.. sometimes thinking I was the best I could be.. they would push me to be even better... and to my surprise.. I reached higher and higher goals. ..I also had my own little built in cheering section.. in the form of Mom and Dad and my siblings.. who always said positive things when it came to those two areas I chose to participate in...

Ok.. all well and good.. but what does that have to do with this blog? with today?

Well..through those people.. I learned that I could go much farther and be much better than I thought.. I had put self-imposed limitations on myself. It took a coach to say "OH>. no.. no way.. you can do better than that!" .... Or for them to say " Thats all you got? you are not leaving this field until you get it right three time staight.. ".. /// So.. here is the problem.. After almost 20 years of not having a coach (I stopped playing ball and clarinet around 18).. I have finally figured out why I have such a issue with completing this program..... I have to be my own coach.. and with the exception of a few people in my life.. my own cheering section too.. ! (oh great!)..

Some things that help keep me on track are:
staying focused on not missing a workout.. and NOT cheating my body with bad food.. (I dont want to mess up all that hard work I did in the garage with eating low nutrient foods.. )
I try and stay motivated by listening to the body for life on cd... (this is where I got the quote about self limitations.. really spoke to me today for some reason)...
I try and not worry .. and let others comments just role of me.. I have goals.. we all do.. but mine dont include the chips and hot sauce, the coke or the cake and ice creams theirs do :) thats fine!... they can eat theirs now I will have mine on my free day!
and I Try to blog everyday.. keeping track.. and actually typing the day .. that keeps me going.. (cant wait to type the words.. Day 84... program completed!")..

So.. heres to today.. to not limiting myself ...

----------
todays workout..
Lower body...
leg extensions, leg curls, burn outs with lunges.. (yes.. the "i fell like I just got butt implant" lunges)
also did ab work..

Food wise went well today.. one day soon i will post some recipes/shakes I LOVE!
----------
Peace and Progress.....


on a side note.. i am sad that my watch of 2 years decided to break today :( I miss it and hope to find a new band or replacement as soon as I can... didnt realize how attached i was to the thing until it broke LOL

Comments

MaMa eNCHaNTeD said…
Hi, I linked here from the marathon mommies blog, hope you don't mind. Very great post!!!! Very personal, and something everyone can relate to. It is so important to celebrate how far we have come. It's hard to do when there is still such a far distance to run. I am training for my first race, the St. George Marathon, and have learned a lot. Anyway, thanks for your deep thoughts, keep up the great work!!!
Cindy said…
Ruthie, just count off the miles one at a time and when you get to 26.2 celebrate!
When I did my first half I didn't know if I would make it, but I had a family member that I thought about for each mile I ran and that helped.
Good luck and I'll be looking forward to your race report.
Anonymous said…
What an inspiring quote!
Ruthie, you have come so far! I am so proud to have gotten to see a glimpse of your journey.
Suzette