More Details Half Marathon :)


Yep.. now i found a bit of time to post quickly about the run.
I went to bed WAY late last night.. did hit the hay until midnight!!! but i must have been ready cause i woke up without my alarm at 5:48am!
Josha wanted details.. so here they are:
I dressed (running skirt that is too big and have to keep pulling it up) and an old tank top that was red... I mean it IS the 4th.. i had to wear some red. .. my socks aren to thick or too thin.. perfect :) I loaded some extra songs on my ipod and fixed up my nikeplus. all this while i ate half a blueberry bagal and drank half a glass of OJ.... Hair in ponytales, sun glasses and oops forgot the sunscreen.
i headed out the door with a large water bottle... it was 620 am. weather perfect.. sunrise beautiful
I started jogging and when i got half way around campus on the first lap i hid  my bottle in some tall grass landscaping ..
All was grand until mile 5.. i kept say.. ugh mile five is always hard! .. (cause it is)... but i just walked a bit and kept going.
At mile 8 my sweet friend M and her kids (two girls) showed up.. yelling out from thier car.. then.. they turned the corner and i could no longer see them.. as i turned the corner .. they were OUT OF THE CAR screaming "GO RUTHIE!" etc.. .. it was so fun.. and cute.. and funny.. and a real pick me up... neat. the other girl running up on me from the opposite direction just laughed. it was great.
then at mile 9 or so my sweet DH showed up in the car with a cold bottle of water.. but i refused as i had already picked my bottle up for the last few laps and was feeling fine :)
Mile 11.. well.. Mile 11 is another story. I wanted to quick. I was tired. It was farther than i had ever run in my entire life.. who cares if i walk the rest.. .. i was pretty set on just walking.. after all i had a whole week of hardly any runs... i had excuses planned.
THEN
Here comes some footsteps i hear over my music from behind me.. and there ... going past me is T.. a highschool guy that is on our track team... .. that was what i needed... ... so.. I started running again! .. and .. i only walked one more time to the end.... Seeing him run past me got my head out of the negativity and all those thoughts and made me think i COULD do this.
so..
mile 12. finished the part around campus and i headed to the track.. where the kids were practicing and my DH was sitting in the stands with my sweet friends.
First lap around  was great.. but i got a drink from my bottle while running and ended up inhaling some water.. NOT GOOD> the girl with the baby stroller thought i was going to pass out.. die i am sure.. i stopped and hacked and coughed. and thought i would passout.. but.. i just kept breathing.. and started running again.
the next lap.. well.. i was burping all the way around cause i need to get that water out of my lungs and air out of my stomach LOL ...
the last two laps.. were exhausting .. but i finished.
so hard
so crazy
cant believe i made it.
I have more to post.. including a pic i took before i left.. but.. will have to wait..
for now.. check out my run tracks on Nikeplus :)
thought of all of you.. many thoughts.. too many to add to this post.. but i promise i will later tonight.. :)
If i can YOU can! 

Comments

Sarah said…
Ahhhh you're amazing Ruthie! WAY TO GO!!!!
Anonymous said…
So cool and so so so inspiring. I'm aiming for a half in September 2009. Thanks for the inspiration.
Josha said…
would so loved to have been there! You deserve a medal! In fact, Sara and I have something for you...it isn't a medal, but it's cool.
JoAnn said…
Proud doesn't say enough in how I feel. What a mile stone for you. You're amazing, awesome and yes, I'm so proud of you for accomplishing your goal. I plan on coming to San Antonio for your marathon and know you'll do it again. Thank you for you're wonderful heart...I love you for who you are and how you inspire others. Love, love, love you! JoAnn
JRo said…
I am so proud and so excited. I thought about you a lot yesterday. What a victory!

Oh, and San Antonio ain't too far from me, maybe I can swing by and cheer for you too!
Unknown said…
I am SOOOO impressed. I thought of you yesterday, while I was lounging around celebrating our sixth anniversary.:D

You're awesome!!!!
sauchagirl said…
I can't believe I'm just getting around to reading this. You have done a tremendous job and what a great beginning to your journey! Congrats!