my 1/2 marathon 101 :)

Josha asked a few questions about my running the half marathon..
I decided to post my answers instead of reply in the comments ..
So, what is your marathon goal?
My goal is to make it to the finish line.. when i run the 13 miles it will be the first time ever at that distance. So just to finish has been my goal from the start.

Are you shooting for mostly running with some walking or all running or what?
There are several training schedules in the Marthoning for Mortals book. I feel my fitness level is halfway between the "running most walking a little" and "running all" training plans. So what i have decided to do is run as much as i can and not feel bad at all for walking when i need to.

And, at this stage in the book, are you running it all or mostly running?
Right now.. (yesterday) I ran at a moderate pace the first 2 miles.. after that i was pretty much walking half a lap running half a lap. .. the last two laps I did pick up my pace and ran harder cause i wanted to be finished. :) i would say right now..mostly running.

Other questions you might have....
Why am i doing this?
To see if i can.. to have a goal .. to push myself... to see if I can hold up to the mental challenge of distance running. So far i have enjoyed it because it is something different. It is a competitive sport i can do by myself.. and even compete against myself :) . .. and running just feels good (most of the time) .. Its my time alone.. to think.. to relax.. (it seems that after i hit that being able to run 2 miles without walking the overall aspect of running became more enjoyable! .. )

what exactly does the running plan look like?
tues at a moderate pace.. thurs.. working on your running form (sorta like sprints)
weeks 1-4 on tues and thurs you run for 30 mins.
Weeks 5-6 run those days for 40 mins
weeks 7-9 run those days for 50 mins
weeks 10-11 run for 60mins
week 12 50 min
week 13 run for 40
and week 14 run for 30

for my long runs (on saturdays) the first month you gradually increase from 2 miles to 5 miles. (i run 5 this coming saturday) ..
week 5 = 3miles
week 6= 6 miles
week 7 = 7 miles
week 8 = 4 miles
week 9= 8 miles
week 10= 6 miles
week 11=10miles
week 12= 8 miles
week 13 = 5 miles
week 14= only 20 min run
with he next day running the 1/2.

so the when i run the 13.1 it will be the first time.. with my longest run ever being 10 miles

UHG..
what am i crazy .. RUN THAT FAR!

I just decided two weeks ago when i really made the decision to do this to just go out and do what my training schedule said. The Marathoning for Mortals book is GREAT at making you feel you CAN do this.. IF you do what they say. So i am trusting the book.

It's a lot like i was mentally when i started my first body for life challenge.. I "thought" i could finish.. but just took it one week at a time.. .. sometimes one workout at a time.... and i eventually got there :) so i am trying to just think one week ahead right now.. ...

.. probably too much info.. but there you go :)
happy fitness.
r

be sure and check back soon for a post about people who started running late in life .. and one ran her first marathon at 70! ... soooo cool!!!

Comments

sauchagirl said…
That's all great info Ruthie! Thanks for sharing. I don't think you should have a single doubt in your mind that you can do it. You're awesome!
Josha said…
I loved this post! Of course you will finish! I'm really excited for you!